Thread: New Member: Bought 2 Buells in one day.

New Member: Bought 2 Buells in one day.

I had a magical day where I bought two Buells from the same owner. There were his and hers. Hers was a 2010 Lightning Long with 8000 kms, His was a 2007 Ulysses with 14000 kms. I drove both and found the Ulysses to be a much slower bike without the snappy throttle response of the Lightning.

I have ordered one of the Buelltooth adapters to try and reset the TPS, and I am hoping that his fixes the Ulysses. The problem is at 2500 to 3000 rmps the bike stutters and lags and isn't smooth.

If anybody can confirm that the problem is likely the TPS and all of my worries will be over, that would be great.

Having the same engine, the Ulysses and Lightning should compare closely in power, should they not? I have had many bikes over the years but never an air/oil cooled v twin. I wonder if it is supposed to get as hot as it does?

Anyway, I am pretty happy with the bikes, and this forum has already been a great help.

49704124_10156328568813579_4241004648288223232_n.jpg

You lucky dawg. ! welcome. I would put fresh plugs ,clean air filter , Race ecm and a pipe. and injector cleaner.
    Last edited by Silverrider; 06-13-2019 at 06:44 PM.

Pics or it never happened.

I changed the plugs and wires with no luck. The bike pulls hard with no issue, just the 2500 to 3000 rpm stutter that bothers me.

Race tune needed will change the spark timing.Keep in mind its not a I 4.

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...ell-run-better
    Last edited by Silverrider; 06-13-2019 at 11:33 PM.

I changed the plugs and wires with no luck. The bike pulls hard with no issue, just the 2500 to 3000 rpm stutter that bothers me. It seems worse at some times than others, and it disappears at highway speeds.

I don't have too much experience with buells in general, but from what I understand, from personal research and good old fashioned dumb luck, there is a good chance that your computer is loosing its mind because of a bad voltage regulator. My bike (07 xb12ss) had an issue where it started to sputter at 3.5k, getting to the point where it couldn't be ridden. Harley changed out the timing position sensor, thinking it could be the problem. It still came up, so research said it could be the voltage regulator-- they go out and like to take everything with them. I'd lean towards that, but more than anything, its a computer issue. I just unplugged the battery for a few days, plug it back in, and it works fine for a few weeks. I haven't gotten around to running ECMspy yet, but my understanding is that it just needs a good flashing and TPS reset.

Ditto on the voltage regulator. Original showed 13.4v when running but I had dash light , check engine light and speedo tach cut out issues . Changed the voltage regulator ,voltage reads 14.4 when running ,no lights and goes like stink now.

Still got the stutter. I bought a voltage meter / temp gauge that fits into the 12 volt plug. It shows a steady 14.4 when running. I sold my '10 lightning, something to do with my wife's reaction to my having 4 bikes. I found the lightning way more powerful than the Ulysses. They should have the same feel, having the same engine, should they not? I regret selling the lightning as it was mint, but I know first hand that replacing wives is expensive as well.

I would have sold the wife and kept the bike !