Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Noob - To Buells Anyway

Another Noob - To Buells Anyway

Going to check out and if as described buy my first Buell - an 08 1125R with 5000 miles on it. Barker exhaust. Owner claims the stator was replaced at the dealer he bought it from in 2012 and the clutch leak was fixed on his dime a few years ago.

I'm 54 and like the maintenance and modying end almost as much as the riding so as long as it doesn't exhibit symptoms of something that could be catastrophic I'll be driving her home on Friday. Pix to follow.

Look forward to hanging out here and getting, and eventually giving, advice.

I've put about 100k on motorcycles over my riding lifetime. Ridden in every state in CONUS except CA and ND. Not sure about RI. It's easy to miss.

She'll share the garage with an 09 Speed Triple I just recently traded for so even if there's down time on the 1125, it won't be DOWN time.

10 year old motorcycles with 5000 miles on 'em always leave me confused. I'll double that this year. Motor and electronics willing.

Welcome to the forum!
    I picked up an '08 1125R last year and love it. Still trying to get used to the seating position; my other 2 bike are both choppers (built one, bought one), so this one is quite a departure for me. I'm 52 and this is my first sportbike.

Welcome! (To you both)
    You'll find the 1125's to be very reliable and easy to service. If you get over the initial fear of the 'engine rotate' for valve adjustments... Barkers is a good exhaust and sounds great!
    If you ever find yourself in Cali I have plenty of epic roads to show you around

Welcome to you both. I'm a fellow 08 1125R owner, mines got 8k on it.

@Sarge - My grandpa(70) still hops on my bikes every now and then just to see how the new sport bikes run. He rode my old Ninja(starter bike) as much as I did. I think mainly because it's seating position was more upright. If you find the seating position isn't for you, the sport tourer(at least what I call them) is an upright position with sport bike power and looks.

@Bat - It seems these Buells are low mileage. Mine's only got 8k on it. Always been curious about Triumphs but never got one. My Buell is the first departure from a Japanese sport bike.

For you both

Buell 1125R Electronic Service Manual - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ebkfi6rq4w...ostic.pdf?dl=0
    Buell 1125R Service Manual - https://www.dropbox.com/s/zd4s79stda...rvice.pdf?dl=0

They'll help you figure out any problems. They both are PDF files, the Electronic manual is a clickable style one, meaning click on the part you want to go to and it goes. The Service manual is not, probably a scan of an original manual or something.

I believe the service manual .pdf you find at Buelltooth.com is clickable? I don't know for sure.

I've had a Street Triple and a Speed Triple and really, really liked them both. The engine is sick smooth with enough low end torque and the trans on both of them shifted like butta'

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I believe the service manual .pdf you find at Buelltooth.com is clickable? I don't know for sure.

I've had a Street Triple and a Speed Triple and really, really liked them both. The engine is sick smooth with enough low end torque and the trans on both of them shifted like butta'
    I was fortunate enough to be handed a race prepped but motor and trans were bone stock Triumph 675R to test at the end of the season last yr for a few laps and it was ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!!!!! Hands down the most flickable razor sharp machine I've ever thrown a leg over. Like cooter said it shifted effortlessly and the power rolled on smooth from zero to redline. When I kill the old RC the Triumph will be my next track only machine for sure.

Love American Style

Drove her home today. Now she's got 5100 miles. I think I'm in love. Though not with those mirrors.

Buel-Right-side.jpg

IMG_20180209_145852.jpg

Buell Rear.jpg

Looks clean. Very nice. Congrats.

LOL, One of mine is broke and I plan on pulling them both off. Going to swap out to bar end mirrors just to be legal.

Just bought my first Buell, a 2008 1125R. I'm also new to the sport bike scene wanting something different and staying close to HD I chose the 1125.
    About me: Being over 50 and mostly a fare weather rider I try to get to as many bikefest as possible and love the Tail of the Dragon in Tennessee this bike may make it a little more interesting. My heard includes a 1992 FXLR HD, 2007 Fatboy, 2005 American Iron Horse "HARD TAIL" chopper, and now the sport bike to add to the excitement.
    I purchased the bike from www.flykittymotorsports.com who deals mostly with sport bikes and offers race bike rentals along with race track training, which I'm signed up for in June.
    I picked up the Buell on Saturday and haven't had a chance to ride it yet due to the crappy weather were having, this bike has incredibility low miles, 881 miles on it , and not a spot of rust or a scratch anywhere. The original owner put the bike on display and she just set around for show the last 8 years.
    The bike has the original oil and tires which I plan to change before my first trip.
    I'll be heading down to Daytona Beach Bike Week in March and will be trailing this bike, and probably the Fatboy down to the event, with hopes of getting a long ride to Key west in.

If any of you know frequent or well known issues with this model , please let me know so I can get a jump on them. I'll be thoroughly checking out the forums for tricks issues.
    Glad to be here thanks for all the information
    Greg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast