Thread: 2003 XB9R in great shape 6k miles sitting for 5-6 yers

2003 XB9R in great shape 6k miles sitting for 5-6 yers

I am helping a friend get some bikes back in shape and have performed the basic maintenace items including draining fuel tank, checking fuel pump, battery etc. The bike cranks, it will pop and run for a second or 2 with starter fluid- but otherwise will not even get a pop or hiccupp trying to crank it otherwise. I do not think its getting fuel- the injectors might be clogged...??? It looks tricky to take them off to be cleaned, but then again so does changing spark plugs. Any (constructive) input appreciated.

Buff

If it runs on starting fluid only, you are probably right, it's not getting gas. When you drained the tank and put in fresh gas, you also flushed the fuel rail, right? Or did you just turn it on and shove all that filthy residue into the injectors? Hopefully not, they are a PITA to replace. FYI they are front and rear specific.

Changing plugs is easy. You just need the right instructions. RTFM:
    http://buellmods.com

When you were:
    Quote Originally Posted by BHarsh View Post
    checking fuel pump
    Did you clean the sock/ change the filter and test for 49psi of pressure?

The bike is almost 2 decades old. Replacing the fuel pump isn't a waste of money IMO. PM Barrett on here for the right one. The cheap ones on e-bay are **** and come with the wrong regulator no matter what the Mandarin to English application chart says.

Theres a great time saving cheat to swap the pump without an engine rotate. Been posted here 1000 times. By me.

Unfortunately I did not clean the fuel rail. I have the shop manual but am guessing I am not going to be doing the injector job myself. This may be an as is sale of a really nice bike that needs some love from someone that knows it and appreciates it. Before I resort to this I will see if removing the injectors is possible.

Sir: I deal with these Garage Queens on a weekly basis. Your project is near 20 years old now and been sitting unused for several years. Your symptoms plus the amount of hibernation time all point to one specific requirement:
    Fuel pump removal...frame sump cleaning...pump rebuild or replacement. Period.
    Contrary to internet BS...the unique 2003 XB pumps are a very good piece and easily rebuilt with a modicum of mechanical acumen. Delving into fuel rail and injector inspection/servicing a mute point till the pump is serviced or replaced. Several decent tube vids on the entire process. If beyond the scope of your skills or time constraints, unload it.

Yes- thanks for the recommendation. I will have a look at the workshop manual and YT videos.

I just bought one that was sitting, same symptoms, pump was toast, filter just about gone, and low level sensor, and some wires were rotted. The guys above are correct with good info