Thread: 04 XB12R- 64K Electrical Issue

Threaded View

04 XB12R- 64K Electrical Issue

Good Morning Buellers!

I am new to this forum, but have stalked this place for years. I have a new to me - 04 XB12R project that was not taken care of prior to my ownership. I have poured through the wealth of information on this forum. Thank you for everyone who has shared to make this a Fantastic place to learn and engage. This is my 2nd Buell which I bought it as a project and have it running VERY strong.

Mods I am aware of:
    Xenoon bulbs
    Fender Delete- turn signals integrated into the brake/tail light bulb assembly
    Jaradine Can
    K&N Air Filter
    New Tune based on the Can from BuellTooth

What I have done:
    New tune
    TPS reset
    Replaced plugs
    Checked Spark Plug Wires
    Cleaned tested and checked VR harness- 1/2 not functioning
    Tested Stator- strong output - no shorts to ground
    Cleaned, checked and sealed all of my grounds.
    Ran an extra ground from the front triple clamp to the back battery ground.
    Cleaned and grounded the frame to engine strap/ground back to battery ground.

The bike runs fantastic so the shorted lights concern may be somewhere else. The cluster is cracked on top. The cluster did not function when I bought it. After I cleaned the triple clamp ground, it ran the diagnostic one time, then quit (no lights, no cycling, no tach or speedo). Brake lights work. Xenon headlights mod works although one pack had failed- new ballast on order (ES-0511).

I have the manual - and am able to read schematics although I am not an engineer.

Symptoms:
    Turn Signals on both sides front and back show continuity to ground- I am testing from both front and rear harnesses
    Gauges do not function - as described above
    Voltage Regulator is dead on one side-

Questions-
    Any suggestions where I can look for the short in the lighting circuit prior to me pulling the harness completely out for a total inspection?
    Can someone provide ma an autozone or carquest part number for a voltage regulator? I saw in a post at one time, but am not able to re-locate it.

Thanks in advance for any support!
    Last edited by tukkayak; 07-02-2019 at 02:14 PM.