Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 04 XB12R- 64K Electrical Issue

[QUOTE] Someone has deleted the front signals by tying the R brown & L Violet wire (see pics) to the return current in the lighting circuit. It was poorly done. I repaired it (assuming it was done correctly. I believe it was if my thinking is correct. Do you suggest I take the violet and brown split connection apart at this point? /QUOTE]

I can't understand why anyone would do this because connecting the indicator brown and purple wires directly to ground will disable the blinkers and probably answers the question of why you were measuring continuity to ground on both blinker wires? These should be disconnected I would think - if the front blinkers are deleted then the connection points should be left insulated and NOT connected to anything.

With the front blinker wires disconnected (and any ground shorts removed) measure for zero (or close to it) ohms from the rear blinker connectors to the indicator switch, the instrument cluster plug and the disconnected front blinker wires as shown in the circuit diagram. The multi-wire splices shown in your photos should be where these all tie together so this measurement will determine further digging in these joins.

Assuming you get blinker operation restored, you should also see the rear blinkers should blink faster than they would with the load of the front and rear bulbs in circuit.

Before we go further down this rabbit hole, are there any other wiring modifications in the areas we are trying to remotely diagnose?

With the front blinker wires disconnected (and any ground shorts removed) measure for zero (or close to it) ohms from the rear blinker connectors to the indicator switch, the instrument cluster plug and the disconnected front blinker wires as shown in the circuit diagram. The multi-wire splices shown in your photos should be where these all tie together so this measurement will determine further digging in these joins.

Test Results:
    Left Side Front and Rear to the switch (which is opened up- I tested to the solder joint Brown/Right, Violet/Left)- 0 OHMS
    Test to the Front Right & Left Turn Signal Wires (Previously deleted)- 0 OHMS
    Test to the Cluster Harness (Brown & Violet) 0 OHMS respectively.

Key on: Tail lights lit up constantly.
    Key on: Connected to the rear turn signals- Front wires hanging bare- No Signal yet tail lights were constantly on.

It appears that the brake tail circuits are completed allowing current to flow through them from the key switch.

HMMMMMM>

Assuming you get blinker operation restored, you should also see the rear blinkers should blink faster than they would with the load of the front and rear bulbs in circuit.

Blinker operation not restored by disconnecting the front brown/violet. Should I connect the ground wires together that were previously connected to the front turn signal wires?

Before we go further down this rabbit hole, are there any other wiring modifications in the areas we are trying to remotely diagnose?

Again- not that I know of. Other than the integrated tail light. I know the tail light is operational as I tested it directly from the battery.

Thanks Ray!!!!

I have sent you a hand drawn simplified circuit and a few steps to follow via PM - hopefully that will help.

Thank you! Looking at it now and will jump on that in the morning.

I took the turn switch apart tonight and made sure everything was clean and functioning correctly. No issues wire wise in the housing, but was pretty dirty. It did not solve the open circuit problem.

Tim

Lunaticfringe, In reference to the no turn signal situation with this bike, this is the flasher that came on the bike. Is this not compatible with this bike?

Current Flasher.jpg

I ran through a battery of tests that Rays had PM'd me, and everything tested correctly. The only thing I can think is that since this flasher is not the type you recommended, it may be wrong all together. I am stumped at this point.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by tukkayak View Post
    Lunaticfringe, In reference to the no turn signal situation with this bike, this is the flasher that came on the bike. Is this not compatible with this bike?

Current Flasher.jpg

I ran through a battery of tests that Rays had PM'd me, and everything tested correctly. The only thing I can think is that since this flasher is not the type you recommended, it may be wrong all together. I am stumped at this point.
    tim: in all honesty anytime i see a non-stock non-OEM flasher or similar electrical device i immediately question if it is any good. see page 1 of this thread for the description...pic...and part # for an original flasher. IMO it's worth trying a known good OEM flasher since you've done this battery of tests and ran out of ideas. it is what i would do in the same situation.

I HAVE BLINKERS!

Thank you to Rays and Lunatic for their expert guidance. ALL credit goes to those two!

As a reminder- this bike is new to me, and now that the cluster works, had 68086 miles showing. It now has 68186 miles as it got a 100 mile workout today. I plan on an eventual frame of restore with a 1275 kit and upgraded oil pump. But there are other issues to resolve first. I am 1/2 way through a paint job. I put the plastics back on to mask the layout for the matte finish.

Problems:
    1. The front blinker delete done in a way that provided a dead short reading through both tail Violet (left) and Brown (Right) tail harness connections.
    2. The flasher was the wrong type. Once corrected- lights functioned (after #1 was sorted out).
    3. Instrument Cluster circuit board was cleaned- look up youtube how too's for that one.
    4. ALL connection points, harnesses, for VR, Stator, Lights front and rear, ECM, Relays, were cleaned and packed with dialectric grease
    5. ALL grounding points were cleaned, to bare aluminum, then dialectric grease and tightened securely (continuity tested after to each harness point)
    6. Buelltooth Jarding/K&N Map Downloaded- provided by buelltooth. EXCELLENT PRODUCT, EXCELLENT SERVICE!

I know I am forgetting a few things, but want to give credit once again to Lunatic and Rays for their expertise.

I am getting ready to shoot the Dark Matte Grey on Wednesday- will post the outcome. Here are a few pics of this little project in its current state.

Front.jpg

Rear Right.jpg

Rear Left.jpg

Tank Right Side.jpg
    Last edited by tukkayak; 07-02-2019 at 06:04 AM.

Does anyone know why the photos turn sideways?

Quote Originally Posted by tukkayak View Post
    Does anyone know why the photos turn sideways?
    Sometimes phones format them differently than computers. Its not just a forum thing.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234