Thread: LED switch wiring

LED switch wiring

This could be perhaps the least useful issue in terms of bike perfromance, but hey, if someone knows the answer it would help ease my OCD mind. The previous owner wired a couple LED's under the translucent airbox, and before I decide whether to keep them, I'd at least like them to function properly. The switch became disconnected when I first took the airbox cover off. Yes,the previous owner drilled a hole in the now impossible to find cherry bomb translucent airbox cover for an LED switch...Anyways, I have three wires, one going to the negative terminal of the battery, and two that appear bundled to the positive terminal. It's my understanding that the wire to the negative battery terminal go to the bronze prong on the switch, the positive wire go to the middle prong, and LED wire to the far prong from the bronze negative prong. what's strange is if I hook up all three, just the light on the switch goes on. If I remove the middle and leave it hanging, the switch and led's both light up as intended. If i get crazy and put the negative terminal in the middle, and leave the outside, the switch does not light up, the LED's glow extra bright, and the 15A fuse wired in blows. Keep in mind, I have essentially no wiring experience, so if something I'm saying doesn't make sense, I'm probably not saying it right.

Inactive
    you have a simple 3-prong/2 position switch. it's as basic as it gets. if you find the below pic or my simple instructions confusing simply get help from someone who understands basic wiring and switches.
    THE RED IS POSITIVE....THE BLACK IS NEGATIVE.
    1- lay the switch down on workbench...get multi-meter and set it to OHMS...move switch lever down position OR what appears to you to be OFF position when looking at it. make sense?
    2-pin one leg of multi-meter to end terminal and other leg to middle terminal. if it reads INFINITE OHMS then the switch is in the OFF position. now simply flick the switch to what appears as ON. meter should now read ZERO OHMS. does it? if so you're good to go and so is the switch. if NOT either the switch is faulty or you're on the ground terminal. simply move the multi-meter leg to the OTHER terminal leaving the leg attached to the center terminal. NOW do the same steps again. what do you have????
    see pic below. this is your basic switch with basic lights and basic wiring. you are dealing with 3 simple wires:
    12 volt positive.....12 volt feed to the lights.....grounds for switch and lights. wire as per this pic.

NOTE: no need to flood the board with a new thread everytime you have a simple question. clogs things up. just PM me and i'll walk you thru your "grounds" question as per the other thread you just commenced.

wires.jpg

Awesome, thanks lunatic. I’ll keep it to real tech issues from now on...