Thread: Leaking Clutch line - 07 xb12Ss

Leaking Clutch line - 07 xb12Ss

Looking to buy a 2007 xb12Ss with 25k. Has a slight fluid leak from the clutch line where it goes into the transmission. Not being a mechanic, is this an easy fix? Worse case - what might it cost to replace the clutch (just trying to go into the sale with clear eyes and an appropriate offer)?

Quote Originally Posted by 1776Brigade View Post
    Looking to buy a 2007 xb12Ss with 25k. Has a slight fluid leak from the clutch line where it goes into the transmission. Not being a mechanic, is this an easy fix? Worse case - what might it cost to replace the clutch (just trying to go into the sale with clear eyes and an appropriate offer)?
    there is an o-ring (i think or seal of some kind) on that cable. My ulysses would weep slightly from there. Clutch cable r&i is the only way to fix it, from what I've read it can be a kind of fiddly job but a little patience and its fairly simple. I would say it wouldnt be an expensive fix even if you took it to a sportster/buell mechanic. maybe an hour labor?

Or it could be the cable itself is leaking, either through a compromised housing or where the threaded end is swaged on to the cable housing. My $0.02 is if you are going to pull the cable to replace the o-ring, you may as well replace the 12 year old cable as well.

A clutch cable is $56.14 from Saint Paul Harley, and is fairly straight forward to replace.

thanks for the information fellas. This is very helpful and confidence inspiring. I'll probably go the full replacement route if my brother can make a deal on the bike. All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by 1776Brigade View Post
    thanks for the information fellas. This is very helpful and confidence inspiring. I'll probably go the full replacement route if my brother can make a deal on the bike. All the best.

Just make sure the PO didnt strip out the threads in the case. Its soft, and it wouldnt be the first time that happened. Luckily, it can be fixed with a helicoil pretty easily.

I just noticed after washing my bike the other day that I have slight weeping here as well. Everything is functioning properly,and I was about to do an engine/primary oil change. Is this something I should probably fix before? I've never seen any dripping around the bike where it stands, so I assume it's minor, but don't want to cause any damage.

If its just a small weep, you may just want to wait to replace it later. You shouldnt need to drain the primary to swap it out. Just remember the leak will just get worse and eventually you will have to do it.

I'd be willing to bet odds are pretty good that, Chandler HD has a clutch cable in stock. They're not St Paul HD by a long shot, but they have surprised me before in the past.

I had to do this last year and just replaced the whole cable since it was cheap enough.

Good luck getting a good deal and we hope to see a follow up post from you as a new owner!!!

Jack-O-Lantern
    2006 Buell XBRS LightningBolt
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/album.php?albumid=129