Thread: Looking at an '04 Buell xb12s

Looking at an '04 Buell xb12s

Hey guys! Still new to the forum, but I'm going to be looking at an '04 XB12S in the next week or so (whenever it stops raining up here ) and the bike has been sitting for the past 2 years. Seller says he bought 2 new bikes and kind of lost interest in the XB, so my question to you all is: is there anything in particular to look for with a bike that's been sitting this long? It has 16k miles so it's not too old of a bike, but obviously it'll need an oil change, new battery, probably new tires due to flat spots and old age...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Make sure it starts and runs.

Just got a video from the seller last night of him trying to start it with a battery from his other bike, and it started up almost instantly! Definitely a good sign, I'm thinking if the weather holds off up here I'll go take a look at it this Friday.

While I don't like to doubt someone, buyer beware ! He could have been trying to start that bi!e all day and then did the video after finally getting it started so it's not necessarily a selling or buying point.

When you decide to go see it, ask him not to start it until you arrive, once started, DO NOT BLIP the throttle, just let it idle until warmed up, never blip the throttles on these bikes, they don't like it ! Take a good look at the oil, smell it, make sure there is no burnt smell. Also take a good look under the seat, make sure the wiring hasn't been butchered and make sure the ECM wiring hasn't been messed with. Take the air filter cover off, make sure it is reasonably clean and that there is very little oil on it or around the base area. Make sure all the lights work and the horn. The tires are inflated to the correct pressure and check the MFG. date. Use a flash light and make sure there is no oil on the fan or on the rear cylinder. If they did any mods, check them, ex. if they changed the handle bars, make sure the wiring and the cables have enough room when turned side to side.
    Just some suggestions.
    Good luck.

Duly noted. Thank you sir! Greatly appreciated!