Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: One more time on ECM

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cossack84 View Post
    Mine is the same with pw1 being larger number then pw2. Not buy much, but still larger.

Post a screen grab of it

That’s not right.

That does sound right. Mine stays rock solid.

Not sure how new bikes are, is there a idle control valve? 2004 just has idle screw that determines minimum throttle position.
    Hi cossack84,

yes on DDFI 3 system there is a step motor opening an extra air passage (IAC).
    Up to now I am not sure why it is also moving around a lot, as it seem to be governed by engine temperature only.

• Looking at pw 1 and 2, rear cylinder is most of the time leaner than the front.

• Sometime injector are not going together, I mean one pw is much higher than the other.

• With the bike idling with untouched throttle sometimes you can see pulses from Acc. correction (up to 4.5 or so)

• In the meantime TPD is floating between 3.5 - 4.5.
    Warm up Idle.jpg

Hot Idle.jpg

Pushing.jpg

I am having an hard time trying to discover the logics behind ECM decision, as the few useful info’s are spreaded one by one all over the net.
    I love my Buell, but it seems that Eric's guys left a lot of job to be done by costumers.
    As I enjoy learning and put my hands 'developing' my bike I am not so unhappy with that, but I hate they (ISD?) did not supply us with full info over their DDFI systems.
    Really I don't think they are so good to worth keeping them secret.

Looking for everybody opinions, up to the next.

My Buells run great, I think people dick around with them too much and get in over their head when it comes to programming. I let IDS tune it for my mods and have no issues. I think most issues are individual bikes that are not mechanically sound.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    My Buells run great, I think people dick around with them too much and get in over their head when it comes to programming. I let IDS tune it for my mods and have no issues. I think most issues are individual bikes that are not mechanically sound.
    Hi Outlaw,

IMO so-so.
    You may be right when we talk about aftermarket exhaust, air filter and other modifications.
    Myself too I locked open exhaust valve and removed cat (forgotten to saying it before)
    That was not just for playing around but to try to lower down engine temperature, that is really to high just cruising.
    I got just a bit better on that, but mainly got an unexpected improvement on idle stability and a much cleaner progression trough RPM.
    For sure also some bikes are not mechanically sound, but there are too many people feeling they can have better performance from their Buell to be quite sure that everything is at the top.
    Also I will said that everybody of us may give a different meaning to run great, and probably on Europe model 2008+ the situation is a bit worst.
    Anyway, sorry to be repetitive, I am not unhappy at all, but I know 'the girl can do more'...

Keep in mind that the stock setup was heavily restricted by the EPA. European models are even more restricted than the US versions due to the noise and smog/pollution laws over there.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    word Josh!
    as these bikes age gracefully it's now critically important to lube and adjust ALL cables....check for cable fraying at the perch/switchgear housing.....checking all fasteners for tightness....and servicing the fuel pump.
    seems the tech geeks care more about dazzling each other with unlimited ecm jibberish and bloviating nonsense.

Banned
    Keep in mind that the stock setup was heavily restricted by the EPA. European models are even more restricted than the US versions due to the noise and smog/pollution laws over there.
    Hi di_adams,

yes, probably it has been not at all an easy task on our air cooled big cubic inch V twin 2 valves push rod engines.
    That's what makes matchless our engines personality, and I did not intended to be offensive regarding their job.
    Just I am suffering a lot trying to learn about EFIs as many info needs almost to be 'stolen'.
    My be is that I am a 'carburetor guy' and when, long time ago, I studied about engines all sort of info were easly available to everybody.
    It was a simpler, well-established technology that made no sense to keep secret.
    Perhaps even as time goes on, the economic system also prefers to have ever more ignorant consumers about what they buy,
    But these are slightly off-topic considerations, excuse me...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    word Josh!
    as these bikes age gracefully it's now critically important to lube and adjust ALL cables....check for cable fraying at the perch/switchgear housing.....checking all fasteners for tightness....and servicing the fuel pump.
    seems the tech geeks care more about dazzling each other with unlimited ecm jibberish and bloviating nonsense.
    Hey lunaticfringe,

I can tell you my bike is ok were she needs to be.
    I assure you that my desire is not to be able to fill my mouth with big words about electronic injections, but only to humbly learn.
    I'm from the old school and I like to get to know those who carry my ass around, to be able to take care of them.
    I am absolutely sure that the behavior of my bike can be improved by working on the ECM and I will try to follow this path.
    If I look at my datalogs, for what I can understand now, I see many things that make no sense and that must forcibly make the engine work whimsically.
    I also want to understand if they are intrinsic limits of the system or of its development.
    Do I deserve to be criticized for this?

Inactive
    Hey Osvaldo,

not specifically criticizing you in the least. being a new board member you clearly have no context or historical perspective on these endless mind-numbing "tuning threads" that inherently go nowhere...hold no intrinsic value for 99% of board members...and accomplish little to nothing. they're traditionally filled with techno jibberish that is beyond the comprehension level of most board members and admittedly, myself included.
    my philosophy and position has consistently been this during 25 years of Buell ownership:
    there is no hidden SUBSTANTIAL power and performance gains lurking within the factory ECM.
    there is enhanced rideability and enjoyment obtainable thru a simple one-and-done proven map installation.
    get the bike in perfect operational condition then religiously maintain it.
    if you have the equipment...desire...capability and patience.....install a simple generic proven "race map" and ride the bike.
    if one feels tepid or unsure of their ability to perform the above then simply follow Josh's lead and have an outfit such as IDS do it for you.
    my comments above based on 2 specific things:
    1-watching this board become clogged with endless 17 page "tuning threads"
    2-receiving countless PM's....emails....phone calls thru the years from inveterate souls now looking for advice and counsel on how to resolve their "bricked ecm" dilemmas.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 07-09-2019 at 02:38 PM.

I agree^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^, and not because I've been a Buell owner for a long time. I've only been here for a few years now but, I've noticed that the only thing that messing around inside the ECM brings is, a smoother ride, a little more HP. Maybe because I'm old school and before buying my first Buell I had not been riding for quite a few years but, I like the way my bikes run. The only thing I had a problem with was when my Ully would first warm up it would cough a little for the first couple of minutes of riding from a stop and take off, now with the new iridium plugs installed, that has stopped.
    With the 07 SS, I have a Buell tooth and followed the instructions from the above mentioned Co. and still get a bit of back firing when engine braking but, it runs great so why mess with it and besides, they do not have a map for a Special Ops muffler.
    Good luck to you guys, you spend so much time on it, I hope you get want you want.
    I'll also admit that I know very little about messing with maps.

Quote Originally Posted by osvaldo View Post
    Hi cossack84,

yes on DDFI 3 system there is a step motor opening an extra air passage (IAC).
    Up to now I am not sure why it is also moving around a lot, as it seem to be governed by engine temperature only.

Warm up Idle.jpg

Hot Idle.jpg

Pushing.jpg

I am having an hard time trying to discover the logics behind ECM decision, as the few useful info’s are spreaded one by one all over the net.
    I love my Buell, but it seems that Eric's guys left a lot of job to be done by costumers.
    As I enjoy learning and put my hands 'developing' my bike I am not so unhappy with that, but I hate they (ISD?) did not supply us with full info over their DDFI systems.
    Really I don't think they are so good to worth keeping them secret.

Looking for everybody opinions, up to the next.
    Here is a snip it showing how PW1 and PW2 are little different from each other. Looks to be about same amount as your bike.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast