Thread: Blew the O2 sensor bung off my header

Blew the O2 sensor bung off my header

First of all, I've been browsing this forum for nearly 2 years and am so grateful to have this as a resource. It has been very helpful in keeping my 05 xb12r on the road!

I searched the forum to try and find any posts dealing with a similar issue but couldn't find anything relevant so if this has been discussed before please point me in the right direction.

So on to the issue. Yesterday I was riding and went WOT to pass and noticed that my exhaust noise was significantly louder. I pulled over and inspected the bike to try and find the issue and I saw what turned out to be the O2 sensor sitting against the frame and the rear header. I loaded it up on a trailer and took it home and started removing pieces so I could get a better idea of what I was looking at. Turns out that the O2 bung with the sensor attached was blown off the rear header leaving a fairly clean circular hole in the header. I intend to remove the header and attempt to weld the bung back into place (buy a new header if I cannot) but I'm mostly concerned about what could have caused it in the first place. If I have that much back pressure in my exhaust system could there be some larger issue I'm unaware of?

I have the Buell race exhaust but it does have a small dent on the bottom of the muffler underneath the connection to the Y-pipe, but it doesn't seem large enough to constrict exhaust flow. If anyone has experience with this sort of issue or could help provide some insight I'd be very appreciative.

While it's not exactly a common failure, it does happen. Clean it up, purge it with argon and weld it with 309 filler. The small dent will not affect the flow of the exhaust gas.

Thanks for getting back to me. I guess I'll just weld it up, slap it back on and take out the bike.

Last edited by 34nineteen; 06-30-2019 at 02:19 AM.

That is funny ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ !

Doesn't one have to disconnect the battery in order to weld or is that just with mig welding ?