Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Leak

Front rocker box? Oil cooler line?

Quote Originally Posted by outthere View Post
    You would think being married to me for 40 years she would be able to work on my bikes instead of just paying for them. The source of the leak isn't obvious. The top of the crankcase is wet. Base gasket area is dry. The area around the oil filter is wet also. No double o-ring. At an idle In can't spot the source either. Gearbox/primary oil level is ok.
    Ha! I'm the worst to take marital advice from. I barely made it over 40 months. LOL!

Check the pushrod area. When I did the 1250 kit on my 2016 Sportster, one of the pushrod orings "shifted" and wasnt sealing properly. It was baffling at first, because at idle, no issue... but go for a test ride and it was puking oil. Got it home, cleaned it up, then started it up to check for a leak.... nothing. Went for a quick test ride, and before I got out of the neighborhood, oil was all over the place.

Also, I think there is an oil pressure switch in that area. Make sure its not dribbling oil. You may have to rev it up to reveal the leak.

The top of the crankcase, right between the cylinders has a breather fitting. I'd check that for leaks.

If indeed that is the leak, you'll need to look for why the crankcase is getting that pressurized!

I'll go out and take another look.

That breather fitting has a hose attached and that is dry. Leak still doesn't stand out with moderate throttle application. I'll keep at it when I have more time.

The more I think about this from your original description, I'm thinking you may have a leaky oil cooler fitting or from the oil pressure switch. I'd recommend pulling the fairing, and going to the dollar store and getting a large aluminum cooking tin and some of their cheap degreaser to clean up the oil. Start the motor and look for the leak.

Looked some more and it's just not obvious. Top end is dry, base gasket area is dry. It's not coming from the front of the engine. Oil pressure switch seems ok. It's not like the bike is covered in oil. Tomorrow I'll get some cleaner, take the belt off and get the area between the cylinders as clean as possible. I'm wondering if there's a gasket between the starter and the primary case?

There is a gasket. Some will also use RTV with the gasket to make sure it doesnt leak.

I think this is the Harley # 31488-81 . If I'm right, your local HD dealer will probably have one in stock.

https://www.jamesgaskets.com/product/jgi-31488-81/

Three cans of brake clean and it's nice & clean. Still can't see where it's coming from unless taking a cup or so from the primary made it go away or changing the filter did the trick. I'll look at the manual and see how comprehensive it is to change the starter motor gasket. Hoping I don't need to drop the engine. I have another track day coming soon.

Have you replaced the starter? I know from experience that the wrong starter "Rare Electrical" (e-bay brand) has the wrong non-sealed bearing in the nosecone. It will puke primary oil right through the starter housing to the top of the case, but only at high RPM.

If you want to check it before you buy one, pull the starter and separate the nose cone. Pour oil on the bearing and it should not leak through it. Same will happen if that o-ring is compromised. Good luck!

Pulling the starter is easy. Remove the primary cover to access the allen bolts. Take off the easy one first and then you'll want to use a ball end allen on the other one to scoot just next to the gear and back the starter out without the bolt having to pass that gear saving you the clutch-basket-removal-part entirely.

Last edited by Cooter; 07-04-2019 at 04:10 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast