Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this bad will it damage anything?

Is this bad will it damage anything?

So I dropped a socket after I finished up with it and get it and I can no longer locate it. I dont care if it falls out while riding as long as nothing is damaged since I can just replace it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What exactly are we looking at? Is that the O2 sensor from the top down? If it's on the right side of the bike, there's always the danger of it getting caught in the belt drive which could do serious damage to you and the bike.

Have you taken the bottom fairing off to look around? A socket is a pretty big chunk of metal and easy to find. Are you taking about a nut? What part were you playing with?

My two cents- You asked...

Find it. You are on a bike and road rash isn't too far off if it gets into a place it doesn't belong. I would play it safe always. I would do as Endopotential suggests.

Happy hunting.

Did you try using a magnetic tool to help pick it up, if it fell in there you should be able to fish it out.

Thanks guys I'll find it and get it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Endopotential View Post
    What exactly are we looking at? Is that the O2 sensor from the top down? If it's on the right side of the bike, there's always the danger of it getting caught in the belt drive which could do serious damage to you and the bike.

Have you taken the bottom fairing off to look around? A socket is a pretty big chunk of metal and easy to find. Are you taking about a nut? What part were you playing with?
    Looks like the O2 sensor, there's a set of fans above that gap. I was tightening the airbox cover after doing a black liquid wrap on it.

Thanks I'll be getting one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    Did you try using a magnetic tool to help pick it up, if it fell in there you should be able to fish it out.
    Couldn't find my magnetic tool for the life of me so tried fishing it with a screwdriver and that's when I lost it. I'll be ordering a new though.

You can get a telescoping rare earth magnet with a little flexible tip from Harbor Freight for $2 that ends up being a pretty priceless addition to the tool box. I'd find it, even if it doesn't hurt you, that little windshield killer could affect the car of motorcycle behind you when it falls off.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    You can get a telescoping rare earth magnet with a little flexible tip from Harbor Freight for $2 that ends up being a pretty priceless addition to the tool box. I'd find it, even if it doesn't hurt you, that little windshield killer could affect the car of motorcycle behind you when it falls off.
    I'm lazy I ordered one on Amazon.

I dropped the nut from the front ECM bolt which isn't that far behind where you are showing in the photo.
    I looked all over the place and eventually found it sitting on the top of the belt under the front pulley cover.
    Very possible for things to bounce in via the rear of that cover so for the sake of 3 screws I would check that as there isn't much clearance at the front of the belt.
    If you don't want to remove the cover, at least wheel the bike backwards in case your lost nut is sitting in the same place.

If you have a compressor try connecting a nozzle attachment to it and attach a small flexible tube to the nozzle. Then blast away. The flexible tube allows you to blast at places you can't even see. I've found a dropped nut this way. Not sure it would work on a socket but maybe worth a try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast