Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 or 3 threads showing, i have 8-10!!!

2 or 3 threads showing, i have 8-10!!!

Im torquing down my headers and it seems to be taking far to long. I know its a slow process as im going 1/4 at a time. But i just read that many of you are reporting having only 2-3 threads showing after the 7-8lb torque. Im easily at 8-10 threads showing and still not down to torque spec. Can anyone please confirm whether its wrong or20190703_013743.jpg right.

It is possible that that the studs are not screwed all the way in. They sometimes turn out when removing the nuts.

So it is a abnormal amount of threads showing?,

A better pic of the side showing what's going on would help...

Maybe because i have the wrong nut? I have them on order i just needed to finish the job today.20190703_112109.jpg

Do you have the retaining rings on the header under the flange?
    Last edited by oh9bolt; 07-03-2019 at 07:41 PM.

Also I was wondering what it looked like from the side showing the flange to head gap.

That pic looks like the flange is almost touching the head, which means the retaining rings are not there.

the bolt is correct ,the rings are not in place , you should only have 3 threads showing , Tell us what you have done ,did you have the pipes off ? You are not telling us the full story of what you have done to the bike.

Retainer rings are in. I replaced the intake gaskets and port gaskets. The bike has been running like total piss irregular idle, backfiring, barley keep it running. Its hot af in texas right now and its no fun riding so im tearing into the bike doing some maintenance. The port gaskets were pretty bad, looks like the previous owner installed them wrong and the got crushed. The first set of gaskets i bought were the flat ones and they didnt look like they could old up a fart muchless a twin. So i bought the cone style, much better fit but pretty snug. Installing the headers was a bit tricky but finally figured out the combination. Going in to torque the nuts (which previous owner had 3 different nuts which im having to use atm). However i started messing with it today and it seems to be finally grabbing and tightening up. I inspected the front studs before i reinstalled the headers and they.....**** just thought of something..if yall are saying the flange is to close to the head because of the retainer ring missing?..last night when i was tightening i heard a POP..front and back. I thought i snapped the studs but they was intact...i bet the noice was the damn ring popping out the groove...does that sound plausible..either way im bout to pull them off again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast