Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Continuing Saga: O4 XB12R AFV Dropping

Hybrid View

Continuing Saga: O4 XB12R AFV Dropping

Hello again everyone,

Here is an update to my new-to-me project bike with 68K miles. It is running strong yet leaning out over longer hauls and seems to be doing this at a quicker pace by the day. I have put roughly 200 miles on it since the cluster/light repair took place. I ride in central Texas hill country.

Mods:
    K&N Air Filter
    Jardine Exhaust
    Tune from Buelltooth

Successes:
    Repaired Cluster
    Repaired Lighting
    Continued Painting

Maintenance:
    New Engine Oil
    New Primary Oil
    All Grounds cleaned, tightened and tested
    All Connections cleaned, inspected, and greased with dialectric
    Sprayed carb cleaner to check for change in RPM- no result.

New Issues (which probably existed long before I got it):
    The bike will run as expected for 50-60 miles. I noticed a gradual increase in noise volume coming from the top of the air filter as, what I assume, is the ECM leaning out the AFV.

Each time it has leaned out, I reloaded the map, and do a TPS reset. I have noticed an AFV reading of 92 on several shorter rides. The Lowest I have seen it was 68 after my 1st 100 mile ride. After that ride, I shut it off for dinner, went out for another short ride later that evening, and it ran boggy, was gutless as it popped and cracked.

No codes are being thrown.

After reading a bit, I thought possibly 02 sensor. Replaced it today with a Bosch #12014 (which people have said they have had good luck with). I rode for about 30 miles today with the new 02 sensor in and the AFV had dropped again to 78.

I am continuing to read up on things. I read a post yesterday where a failing coil was causing a rich environment where the ECM responded by leaning the bike out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Last edited by tukkayak; 07-04-2019 at 05:01 AM.

What 'tune' did you get from Buelltooth? They normally give out ones that are rich and meant to run in Open Loop only and require you to "lock out" your AFV. If your AFV is changing, you didn't do that part right.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    What 'tune' did you get from Buelltooth? They normally give out ones that are rich and meant to run in Open Loop only and require you to "lock out" your AFV. If your AFV is changing, you didn't do that part right.
    I bet that is what is going on. Can someone walk me through the steps to lock out the AFV with the Buelltooth App? I will read up on it, they have good tutorials, but I like to have as much info going into this as possible. Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    What 'tune' did you get from Buelltooth?
    Sorry Cooter I did not answer your question. The tune they sent me was: BUEGB_RT1_XB12.xpr.

I have the original tune backed up and have not gone back to that as I felt the one uploaded did a good job.

Thoughts? Is there a better tune out there?

I am new to this obviously, so I don't know enough to begin messing with the mapping. I did data log one trip. I have yet to look at it though.

Cooter,

Thank you for the heads up. I absolutely did not turn off the 02 sensor. I walked through the steps. Easy enough. I am looking forward to putting the bike back together tomorrow and seeing if this makes a difference in the AFV issue. It should.

Quote Originally Posted by tukkayak View Post
    where a failing coil was causing a rich environment where the ECM responded by leaning the bike out.
    This is of course incorrect, as a failing coil causes a lean reading at the O2 sensor.

Gunter, why is that? A failing coil, will likely not be burning fuel completely... wouldn’t the O2 sensor see that as rich?

34nineteen, that is what I thought would make sense, but I am too new to this to be entrenched in my thinking. I am eager to hear Cooter's explanation as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Gunter, why is that? A failing coil, will likely not be burning fuel completely... wouldn’t the O2 sensor see that as rich?
    If the O2 sensor read fuel...O2 doesn't see fuel. It only sees O2. When a cylinder fails to fire the oxygen is not consumed in combustion, so all the raw unused air is being pumped into the exhaust, flooding the O2 sensor, with air...

I spent the day throwing paint around. Some success and some failure but ALL of it was fun! Here is the result! If anyone likes, I can share the steps taken to make it happen. I will be redoing the pass seat cover. STUPID me rushes the paint and did not let it set up long enough. Oh Well, a project for another day!

Air Box Riding View.jpg

Rear View.jpg

Air Box Front.jpg

Nose Cowell Right Close.jpg

Pass Cowell 3:4 picked II.jpg

My plan/objective was to have a subtle paint scheme. One that would make someone have to look twice to see the result.
    Last edited by tukkayak; 07-06-2019 at 05:47 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast