Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heat soak shut down.

Heat soak shut down.

Okay fellow Buellers I got a crazy one and need some extra brain power. Have a 2005 xb12r 38k on it. Last year started having some serious cutting out during the hotter times of the year. Morning ride to work no issues after noon as soon as I hit the freeway about 3 miles into the ride bike started cutting out badly and back firing enough I turned back and left the bike at my shop. Had done the fuel pump a season before so I figured maybe ignition... New plug wires and ignition coil later made the ride home without incident. Few rides later started again. Spent some time on here looking for clues. New TPS and a couple resets later went on a 100+ mile ride without incident. Next time out bike started cutting out again but got me home. Put in new fuel pressure regulator rode to work next day without incident on my way home bike died 4 times and didn't want to restart fuel pump coming on with switch but cranks without fire for 2-3 min then starts and runs for about 1000 feet. Get her home and decided to do the pump again to rule it out seems like it's running out of fuel. New pump installed go on a ride maybe 10 miles back home no issues. Wash bike take wife to go get tacos 6-7 miles from home no issues. Get back on bike after 45 min feel the heat on the frame side above the exhaust as is normal from a ride. Take off from the taco place bike cuts out a bit on take off so I take it easy so I can make it home about 3/4 mile down the road bike dies I pull off the road into a parking lot bike cranks no start try a few times and it may start for 5 seconds and die. Get a ride home to get the truck and trailer get back to the bike start it and pull it into the trailer no problem. Sorry for the long back story but I wanted to make sure you had all the info. So my assumption at this point is something is going sideways once the bike has had a chance to heat everything up but I don't know what could cause it to die like this. Please help!!! 😭

Are you getting any CEL's? Do you have Buelltooth to get an error codes? Or jump the wire the old fashioned way?

Here are some guesses - Bike running too hot? Can you measure cylinder temps? Is your fan working properly? https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...rheating/page2

Lunaticfringe is our go-to guru https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...in-hot-weather

Some folks think it's the voltage regulator https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...-concern/page2

Thanks for the detailed symptom report
    Most heat related misfire problem threads I've seen, end up being the CPS. You can test it with a hair dryer or heat gun. It's cheap if you just want to throw parts at it...

You can get a manual download for free at Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com

Endopotential, " Here are some guesses - Bike running too hot? Can you measure cylinder temps? Is your fan working properly?
    This is the first question that needs to be answered !

Bueltooth... No CEL not hot enough to even kick on fan most rides.

What is your AFV at? My 05 xb12r just went through it's second pump within 7k miles.

Inactive
    it's very simple to diagnose...a bit more complicated to pinpoint. goes like this:
    1-when the bike is idling and/or you're cruising along at normal speeds....particularly cruising....and it feels exactly as if you just turned the key off...or turned the kill switch to off....then it is ALWAYS electrical in nature.
    2-still considering the above, if it feels like a "soft" shutdown meaning it gently dies and/or it dies but then sputters back to life and gently dies again....it's always fuel delivery related.
    only you know from the "seat of the pants" what it feels like.
    also note this: if you experience after-fire which is popping OUT THE EXHAUST that is almost always ignition/electrical related.
    if you experience back-fire which is popping UP THRU THE INTAKE TRACT that is almost always fuel delivery related.
    LASTLY.....remove your fusebox lid. see pic below. find your 3 relays. all 3 the same. remove just 1 and take to any auto parts store and match up. they are common ford/chrysler a/c relays rated 20amps. purchase 2!
    carry with you and ride the bike. next time you get some heat in the motor and a few miles ridden and if it acts up, immediately pull over and remove fusebox lid. feel all 3. any extremely warm to the touch? if so that one is suspect and will be either the key switch OR ignition relay. the start relay has NO bearing on your problem. immediately replace the warm one and see if problem subsides. if so it's a faulty relay.

xb relays.jpg
    Last edited by user_deleted; 07-10-2019 at 04:09 PM.

^^^+1 Listen to him^^^. FWIW having the same year model those 3 relays are compatible with a 05 Ford focus A/C clutch relay at any auto parts store

Damn Lunatic, you are the damn Buell whisperer!!
    Jack-O-Lantern
    2006 Buell XBRS LightningBolt
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/album.php?albumid=129

107.3%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast