Thread: 99 X1 Open Loop, Closed Loop

99 X1 Open Loop, Closed Loop

so I read on another forum

When your RPM's go over 3,500, your bike operates in OPEN LOOP mode.

When idling, your bike is operating in CLOSED LOOP mode.

What is he talking about?

Open loop is when your bike is running off the fuel and timing maps only. Closed loop is when the bike rely's on data input signals from your sensors in lieu of the fuel and timing maps. Not sure about 99 but when your bike is hooked up to ECMSpy you can actually see the bike transitioning to each displayed loop. There are Jedi's on here who may give you a better explanation than I can...

makes sense. Thanks.

That could explain a lot. most of my problems are only happening over 3,500 RPMs.

LW: That info you found is incorrect.

But it doesn't matter. I would suggest fixing whatever the problem is before opening the 'tuning' can of worms. Especially if you aren't versed in Fuel Injection "tuning". It would be EXTREMELY more rare the solid state ECM needs a tune correction vs. a 20 year old bike needing repair or maintenance of some kind. Leaking intake seals, bad O2 sensor, clogged fuel system, etc...

Yes still trying to figure out the culprit. Fuel Pump? TPS? Injector? On some starts, it runs great, 30 minutes later it might have some hesitation at 4k.

Fuel pump doesn't really make sense to me since it runs fine at 5k-6k. But what do I know?

Same with the injector. If the injector was bad, I don't know why it would only act up at 4k.

This site does not encourage members to just throw money or parts at your bike but Cooter is 100% right. Also IMHO there really aren't that many parts to these bikes so if you have the finances and are mechanically inclined enough to do the work, it's not the worst thing in the world to have spare parts or fresh parts in on a 20 year old bike. FWIW I thought the same as you the first time my pump went, I even emailed Buelltooth to send me a new map because I was convinced it wasn't the pump. He replied kindly with " your problem is elsewhere, it's not your maps ". It was the pump...this is after I replaced injectors, plugs, wires, coil, TPS, filter and added redundant grounds. Not to say this is your problem, just relating my experience with my Buell which I've only owned for a year but we've become real close lol

Quote Originally Posted by TapRoot View Post
    This site does not encourage members to just throw money or parts at your bike but Cooter is 100% right. Also IMHO there really aren't that many parts to these bikes so if you have the finances and are mechanically inclined enough to do the work, it's not the worst thing in the world to have spare parts or fresh parts in on a 20 year old bike. FWIW I thought the same as you the first time my pump went, I even emailed Buelltooth to send me a new map because I was convinced it wasn't the pump. He replied kindly with " your problem is elsewhere, it's not your maps ". It was the pump...this is after I replaced injectors, plugs, wires, coil, TPS, filter and added redundant grounds. Not to say this is your problem, just relating my experience with my Buell which I've only owned for a year but we've become real close lol
    It's not the fuel pump. I just had lunch with the guy I bought it from and was explaining the issues I was having and possible solutions. He informed me that he replaced the fuel pump the week I bought it from him.