Thread: Torque axle with swing brace removed?

Torque axle with swing brace removed?

What exactly happens if the rear axle is tighten while the swingarm brace is removed? We talking warping? twisting? Making it fu#$ing impossible to loosen the rear axle again?

Oh lord I can't imagine what's going on here...

Shouldn't make a difference. You're not squeezing the swing arm together with the axle.

I would however, loosen the axle, re-install the brace, then torque the axle to spec (25ft/lbs back off 2 turns, and re-torque 50 ft/lbs)

It sounds worse than it is..maybe. rear axle is seized up and im bout to whoop the guys ass that didnt put antiseize on it when he swapped my tire. I was just thumbimg through the manual and seen that "DO NOT" side note and was curious.

Did you loosen the pinch bolt first? As I remember it is tucked away and accessible from the bottom of the swingarm.

Last edited by 34nineteen; 07-09-2019 at 07:25 PM.

Yes of course

If it was over-torqued to the point you can't remove the axle, I'd bet your bearings and bearing spacer are smashed to oblivion as well.

Might as well heat the swingarm end to remove the axle. NOT hot enough to destroy the paint or bearing seal, but 'very, very, warm' can help a bunch. Hope it's not galled. Good luck.