Thread: One Taillight not working?

One Taillight not working?

2009 Buell xb12ss. I did the dual headlight wiring trick so that both headlights are on with high beams. Works great. But, just noticed that the LEFT turn signal is not working properly. The LEFT front signal flashes quickly while the rear signal does nothing. The RIGHT turn signal works as normal.

Is this just a loose wire in the harness?

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by 1776Brigade View Post
    2009 Buell xb12ss. I did the dual headlight wiring trick so that both headlights are on with high beams. Works great. But, just noticed that the LEFT turn signal is not working properly. The LEFT front signal flashes quickly while the rear signal does nothing. The RIGHT turn signal works as normal.

typically not. classic symptom of faulty bulb or socket corrosion. do this:
    1-remove lense....remove bulb. SEE FITMENT LIST BELOW! as these bikes age i discard any bulb on any light i'm repairing and start fresh with new. automatically rules out the bulb as culprit......they're cheap....and being subjected to endless buell vibration takes its toll.
    2-closely check light socket for corrosion....closely check small wiring loom going into bulb assembly for any signs of breakage or chafing. repair/resolve as necessary.
    3-replace bulb....do NOT replace lense. with key on now try signal. success? replace lense and you're done. still not working? wiggle small wiring harness going into assembly and its connector. now flashing? you have a wiring problem needing attention

single filament clear bulb-----#1156
    dual """"""""""""""""""""-------#1157

Thank you. I'll work through your troubleshooting suggestions.

Unplug the right rear light and plug it into the harness in place of the left turn signal. Then turn on the left blinker.

If you get the left front blinker and the right rear blinker to flash, then the issue is in the left rear turn signal. Possibly a bulb like LF mentioned... unless your bike has stock LED turn signals like my 1125.

Also, did you chop the tail off your bike? When that is done the license plate light wires are unused and I've seen (and done) it where the license plate light was hooked up to the left turn signal (usually on the left side).

Did you try changing the blinker fluid?

LOL
    Jack-O-Lantern
    2006 Buell XBRS LightningBolt
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/album.php?albumid=129

Well, that was fun. Pulled apart both rear tail light assemblies. Broke off a tab on one of the covers. Swapped bulbs...and the same issue - left turn signal in the rear doesn't work, while the front left turn signal blinks at a faster rate.

So, I pulled off the seat and immediately found the problem. The blue wire to the Left turn signal had simply wiggled its way loose from the connector. Plugged it back in and everything is hunky dory.

Maybe this post will save people the humiliation of over-thinking an issue?

We have all been there.
    Good Job finding the cause.
    Jack-O-Lantern
    2006 Buell XBRS LightningBolt
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/album.php?albumid=129

Quote Originally Posted by 1776Brigade View Post
    Well, that was fun. Pulled apart both rear tail light assemblies. Broke off a tab on one of the covers. Swapped bulbs...and the same issue - left turn signal in the rear doesn't work, while the front left turn signal blinks at a faster rate.

So, I pulled off the seat and immediately found the problem. The blue wire to the Left turn signal had simply wiggled its way loose from the connector. Plugged it back in and everything is hunky dory.

Maybe this post will save people the humiliation of over-thinking an issue?

Ha! That happened to me when I was selling my XB9SX. After convincing the buyer that “everything works”, his wife pointed out that the brake light wasn’t working. Sure enough one wire came off the connector. Lol

Maybe this post will save people the humiliation of over-thinking an issue?[/QUOTE]

Or over-blinking an issue......