Thread: Throttle Response?

Throttle Response?

So, I warmed the bike up, and then took this video to show the throttle response. Not experiencing any problems at all, save the initial throttle response lag. Is this normal?

And to provide context, my IEV actuator failed. It is turned off using ecmspy, and the IEV valve cable is secured wide open.

https://youtu.be/eHYg0Uqz3l0

Buells and Harley by nature of their big heavy flywheels sometimes have a hard time with quick throttle actions like that. That said your bike does seem like it lags a little more than most. You may have a fuel delivery problem. I like to blame leaky intake manifold seals on a lot of drive ability issues, but in this case manifold vacuum is practically nil, so that may not be your issue.

Start with the basics.
    Adjust your throttle cables.
    If they are not adjusted correctly it might take as much free play, as what is shown in your video, to produce a throttle response.
    And since I don’t know what year your bike is, or what mods you might have, you might want to insure the TPS is calibrated correctly.
    Go to www.buellmods.com and down load a service manual.
    Use it to help you adjust your throttle.
    If I remember correctly the service manual calls for nearly a quarter turn of throttle play. I adjust mine to have instant throttle response. That means you leave NO free play.
    You might like yours set up differently.
    Either way, start with a throttle cable adjustment.
    Also, make sure your bike is good and warm before you start hammering the gas, while standing still. That usually leads to fouled plugs and exacerbates drivability issues.

Good point!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    Also, make sure your bike is good and warm before you start hammering the gas, while standing still. That usually leads to fouled plugs and exacerbates drivability issues.
    When I bought my first Buell, the dealer did this. The Sales guy started it, then blipped the throttle a few times and immediately shut it off. Next attempt to start it failed. 30 minutes later, with 2 new spark plugs the mechanic came out to speak to me, rolls his eyes at the sales guy, shakes my hand and tells me to enjoy the bike and to avoid doing this as it will foul the plugs every time.
    Ever since then, if I start my Buell, it's to go riding.
    I let it idle while I put on my helmet and gloves. Hop on and go.
    Jack-O-Lantern
    2006 Buell XBRS LightningBolt
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/album.php?albumid=129

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknstripn View Post
    I'll walk through the suggestions you made. Yes, the bike was warmed up for over 15 minutes before I made the video.

It does seam to stumble a little,
    When I first get any bike I always put in fresh plugs, clean air filter, and a generous amount of injector cleaner. High speed ride.

Didn't want to start a new thread, so here is an update.

Checked throttle cable, and it appears to be adjusted properly. Granted, I've never adjusted it before.

Question. After parking in the garage, if I close the doors, the smell of gas is very strong for a couple of hours. Not having experience with this bike, at first, I just assumed this is normal. But, when the doors are closed, it is really strong - as if I left a gas can open. But, there are no leaks, spills or anything. Does this suggest the bike is running really rich? (Keep in mind, I have not repaired the IEV so the butterfly valve is wired open and the IEV is shut off).

And, I'm going to use Red line Complete Fuel System cleaner over the next 3 fill-ups. The bottle is a concentrate and says it's designed for up to 12 gallons of gas. I'll update if I notice anything different.