Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing my first Buell ! Advice needed !

Choosing my first Buell ! Advice needed !

Hello all.
    a newbie here on this forum, and a newbie to Buells. But I've decided, and I'm currently down to two bikes to choose from. Problem is I've only ridden the X1 as the XB12ss is very far away. But I'm planning a trip. So the two bikes then, first I fell in love with a bright red X1 ligtning year 1999 with only 15 000 km. Totally in original state. I rode it and ok, riding pos ok and all. just had to fiddle with the gears. probably just need to get used to it, coming from my Kawa ZZR1200. and noticed it didnt liked so much low revs.. a bit uneven injection or just a adjustment needed. but noticed after my testride just a little little damp oil seemed coming from rear cylinder. Read that this is a very common problem and probably easy fix.
    and then went home and scanned the market for a Buells for sale in sweden and voila.. found a XB12Ss Long 2008 and wow... fell in love again and after some reading I get the feeling that the XB may be a better buy. almost the same money for those two. about 45000SEK, or just about 5500$. almost same mileage. but that the XB is more modern ofcourse, more balanced mabey, more refined, but still with that same raw torque power from that 1200 twin.
    Grateful for all inputs on choosing the better bike. I know a problem not having ridden the XB yet, for ex riding position, but if numbers are correct on bikez, seat height is about 30,5 inches. suits me fine. same as my Kawa. I'm 5.7 long.
    dont know if this site is correct, but I should be sitting just fine on the xb. https://cycle-ergo.com/
    thanks in advance for all inputs have a great day/night..

Fun web page and nice to use to compare ergos of bikes.

yeah its great to check out, have fun

soo any thoughts on X1 vs XB12ss long ?

I’m a fan of tubers and XB12Ss and have owned both. They are different bikes in the way they ride.

If I had to choose, i’d probably pick the XB12Ss over the X1.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 07-16-2019 at 06:53 PM.

I have ridden both an M-2 and Ss for thousands of miles very comfortably. I love my Ss, but would be super happy with either. The X-1 is the first fuel injected (DDFI-1) version of what Buell's run today. It's rudimentary, but seems to be pretty rock solid for dependability.

Couple thoughts. I went with the xb12Ss because of the extra wheel base length (54" vs 52" for the xb12S). I'm 6'1" and can flat foot the bike.

There is a slight difference in seat height between the 2007 and older xb12Ss and the 2008 and newer models. Spec says it's 30.1" vs 30.6". Not too significant, but I also believe the 2007 and older models are also lower to the ground - 4.7" vs 5.5".

And lastly, the seat is rather wide causing you to spread your legs more than if you were on a dirt bike with a very narrow seat. At times, it kind of annoys me.

All the best.

Thanks guys for helping . Really greatful. I found after some search another thread ( X1 vs XB12 in here almost identical so thanx for the patience...
    I've been reading alot on these bikes. Its really a shame the XB is so far away just to go see it( 2days ride) and ride it for comparison. But for now the only SS long bike for sale.
    My concern is after comparing size and all data, if the X1 may be a still more stable on the road bike than the xb. with a bit longer wheelbase, a bit more rake etc. I'm not going stuntriding, I'm old but still like a fun handling bike, without beeing too twitchy .. hmm ?! I will still like to go cruising on the bike, specially when girlfriend is on the seat too
    Guess I will have to decide wether to take that long ride to testride that xb or drop it and go with the "near to me" X1. Opinions on wether the xbss feels twitchy ?

Here are some X1 photos from the local bike . In mint condition. I'm confused..
    I would remove these ugly plastic things on each side and put on a proper air filter..of course
    Resized_DSC_0095_4936.jpg
    Resized_DSC_0099_1630.jpg
    Resized_DSC_0100_8095.jpg
    Resized_DSC_0101_4425.jpg

I wouldn't say the XBSS is "twitchy". I'm comfortable hands-off relaxing on 'cruise control' even through mild corners. I would never try that on the Brutalé That thing needs a steering damper badly!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast