Thread: Updated Voltage Regulator Wiring 5 vs 4 wires

Updated Voltage Regulator Wiring 5 vs 4 wires

I've searched the web and this site for answers but can't find exactly what I need.

After my battery died I found out it was the charging system. I diagnosed it according to the shop manual and advice on this site, and came up with the voltage regulator. I ordered what I thought was the correct part from St. Paul HD. Says it's good for 2003-2007 and I have a 2005 so all good.

The part came in and the connectors are different. Not a problem, I can rewire it, but then I noticed there's only 4 wires on the new part, vs 5 on my old one.

IMG_20190720_122837.jpg

IMG_20190720_122919.jpg

IMG_20190720_122954.jpg

Does anyone have advice on how to wire this in? Or do I have the wrong part? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Well ****, it looks like I ordered the wrong part. More research led me to the 2 vs 3 phase wiring.

Ordered this,

Instead of this.

Anyone in Canada need a 2008-2010 voltage regulator? Or know where to get a cheaper regulator for a 2005? $200USD seems expensive...

The VR in the XB bikes is a pretty solid unit. Its the 1125's that had issues. I'd bite the bullet and get the OE one.

You can get any aftermarket regulator and wire it in as well. It could save some money but cost time and maybe dependability? Up to you.

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I ended up ordering an OE unit with the updated 77 connector parts to fix that up as well. Did Lunatics response get deleted? It had some good info in it...

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by leakyrat View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I ended up ordering an OE unit with the updated 77 connector parts to fix that up as well. Did Lunatics response get deleted? It had some good info in it...
    WAS THIS:
    2003-2007 VR's all the same....2008-2010 VR's all the same.
    3-7 are three phase..............8-10 are single phase.
    they will NOT interchange. OEM units are excellent but should be grounded for best results.
    shim the VR approx. 3/4" away from mounting bracket. runs cooler and promotes longevity
    and here's how you identify which VR is correct for your application: twin plug length the same??? 03-7.
    twin plug length substantially different??? 08-10

XB VR'S.jpg