Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2009 XB9 Electrical Issue

Simple question Dave, Do you understand how to properly read current? The meter goes into the circuit, everything has to go through the meter. Normally you have to switch the leads to a different jack. Normally only a 10 amp fuse.

reason why is you stated you tested the fuel pump and it didn't not come on till you touched the terminal. That sounds like you were testing the voltage. If the meter was in line the fuel pump would have come on or blow the fuse trying.

Do a quick youtube on meter basics. Simple and makes troubleshooting easier with sound testing practices. Not that I always follow my own advice...

LF:

Not sure what any conclusion is, but this is what I did:

1. Replaced Ignition Relay
    2. Installed good battery only positive cable connected
    3. Connected multimeter between negative battery terminal and negative battery cable
    4. Disconnected Voltage Regulator
    5. Multimeter showed “0.00” on “20m” “A” setting on dial
    6. Fuel pump DID NOT come on
    7. Reconnected Voltage Regulator
    8. Connected negative cable to negative battery terminal, fuel pump DID come on, attempted to start, would not turn over, smelled fuel, shut all down, removed battery
    9. Battery showing 12.8V. after all of that…

Dave D

LF:
    Any last guess for what I did?
    I think it is time to find that electrical guru...
    Thanks for the help.
    Dave D

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave D View Post
    LF:
    Any last guess for what I did?
    I think it is time to find that electrical guru...
    Thanks for the help.
    Dave D

dave: clearly you're struggling with these tests so yes...i would seek local help. you missed the simple step for the VR parasitic draw test so that is what i am basing my assessment on.

see link below....scroll to page #235....schematic #B-4
    reference brown/yellow pump feed wire
    reference ECM pin #27
    if your ignition relay is new as you stated then this appears to be the source of your fuel pump continuously running.
    IMO it all reverts back to the "loud click" you mentioned hearing when you had originally hooked up the battery charger...which i am assuming was done with crossed cables.
    in other words your ECM is signalling your pump to run regardless of the positions of your igntion key and kill switch.
    if your bike was in my shop and your trouble-shooting had brought you to this point, here's what i would simply do: leave negative cable disconnected but pump wiring harness connected and good pump fuse in place. your ECM has 2 wiring harness plugs. find the plug that contains PIN #27 and disconnect the plug from the ECM. now connect negative batt cable. pump NOT running? confirms ECM problem. next step? install a known good used 2009 ECM, connect both plugs to the ECM and see what you have. all OK? faulty ECM.
    that's as far as i can go on this.

http://www.ukbeg.com/pash/2008%20Bue.../99493-08Y.pdf
    Last edited by user_deleted; 08-05-2019 at 03:41 PM.

LF: Thanks again and thanks for your time on this. Dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12