Thread: 2005 XB12R tune question

2005 XB12R tune question

Good morning,

I have a 2005 XB12R and I'm trying to make an educated decision for the tune on it. I installed an Buelltooth XB-SS exhaust on it recently(souds amazing and impeccable build quality btw - highly recommended). Once I installed it I uploaded the tune they gave me based on my ECM ID and performed the additional steps as indicated with the buelltooth. The idle was hunting - that's the best way I know how to describe it - it was bouncing about 300rpm up and down. It ran very poorly. I set it as best I could and took it for a ride up the street and the check engine light popped on. It had numerous codes stored( I'll update with a code list later). I installed the factory tune and set the idle and rode it and it's riding fine even after about 200 miles.

So, my question is this: Is there any detriment in leaving the factory tune installed with the upgraded exhaust?

In my research I've found one other instance of the same thing that happened to me but I didn't find a clear cause or direction from the OP.

Any opinions or personal experience are greatly appreciated.

Pic of bike:20190730_082416.jpg
    Last edited by BuckStalker; 08-01-2019 at 11:57 AM. Reason: spelling

Did you try a TPS reset? Mine hunts a bit until the engine warms up.

I sure did, I even thought it was because the motor was cold so I let it warm up and it was still bouncing drastically

Factory tune if your seat of the pants dyno is good then. Always beware of a lean condition.

I would call the place that sold you the tune and the pipe and ask them what's up?
    You will probably be ok with the stock tune, But you will definitely be OK with the right tune.

I did reach out to them, the response I got was "The tune file I sent you will not compensate for any issues like low fuel pressure or intake leaks. Check the AFV of your original saved file on your phone, not the one on the ECM. It may tell you if there is an issue that needs to be addressed. You also must do the TPS reset with the throttle completely closed. Butterfly valve shafts are also a known problem on these bikes so it’s something you may want to look at."

I did a proper TPS reset and also checked for intake leaks and found none. I checked the AFV and found it is 109.5 (within acceptable range from my understanding but please correct me if I'm wrong there). The butterfly valve is working fine too.

Sorry for not front loading that info in the OP, in hindsight it might have helped

Your bike should have a 02 sensor. It is located on the exhaust where rear exhaust bolts to the head. Must take seat off to see it better. If still not on there that is one problem. Exhaust actuator must be shut off if not attached. That you can do with your Bluetooth. That might be problem #2. You should look up what all the codes are and report back.

Last edited by rchuff; 07-31-2019 at 09:38 AM.