This is obviously not my season, third Buell breakdown, really starting to look at the Honda Africa. If I have to thumb it home one more time ALICE!, ONE MORE TIME!

Pulling away from a 4-way stop I thought I accidentally shifted into Neutral, something I have NEVER done on any buell. I clicked the shiftier again, nothing. Possibly a false neutral? Again something I have never found on any buell. I find a good solid kick is what these ladies like. Just as I thought I blew out my transmission I looked behind me, just in time to see my drive belt flow off the rear sprocket. Good News! No need to split my engine case to fix a transmission issue. Bad News! Its 100 degrees and a long walk home for my spare belt.

I purchased the bike about 3 years ago with approximately 7,000 miles. Since the belt was most likely original I replaced the belt with a new belt and kept the old belt as a spare. The bike now has 27,000 miles. So the belt lasted 20,000 miles, no stoppies or endos ever. I do enjoy a power wheelie or two. Who wouldn't.

I'm not here to argue the merits of belt vs chain. I'm 100% sold on belt. I've had to replace a chain at 6,000 miles because of tight spots. I would like to know what the expected mileage and life span of an XB12 belt is. I'm not a fat-cat Bagger, so I don't expect 100,000 miles. I try to keep my wheelies to a minimum and generally don't abuse my bikes much. I can't wheelie worth a ****. The belt has tiny cracks between the teeth. There are no stone chips or holes. I run the full belt guard. The spare belt with 7,000 miles is significantly tighter than the 20,000 mile belt. I had to fully loosen the rear axle to get it installed. The throttle response is notably crisper with the replacement belt. The 20,000 mile belt would slip on with some work, without loosening the axle. My bike is garage stored so minimum UV exposure, only a savage would leave their baby outside.

Are the micro cracks the sign that you should be looking to replace the belt?
What sort of things should I be looking for during regular maintenance in regards to my belt and sprockets?
What sort of mileage should I assume for a belt, assuming I'm not abusing the bike but not adverse to a little fun?

I understand that a gravel road could spell the end of any belt, that's why I tour with a spare belt. It zip ties up nicely under the top box, in the luggage frame. I'll post pictures of the broken belt for forensic review.