Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saying goodbye to my Lightning Long

Saying goodbye to my Lightning Long

Hey guys! Well after a fun time with my 07 XB12ss, I finally purchased my dream bike: KTM RC8R!

Still keeping it in the V-Twin family! But unfortunately I'll be selling my Buell

It has been a fantastic bike, never gave me a problem and I love the feel and sound of it! And I will always like the looks:

20180323_172100.jpg
    20180316_184609.jpg

New toy:

20190730_201215.jpg
    20190730_201221.jpg

That is a LARGE step... Wow what a great bike

Good luck man

That SS looks very familiar.

Welcome to the 1190 club.... the KTM 1190 club! Nice ride!

Take it to the limit

Nice Bike! KTM is pretty nice too 😋 Kudos man, that’s sick

In case this is a help to anyone else, I thought I'd give a little update on the RC8R vs the XB12 after a couple weeks and a few hundred miles of ownership.

I've always wondered what it would be like to own a superbike, but I've always heard it was more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. So I've stuck to middleweights throughout my biking "Career". Started on a Ninja 250, then a CBR600F4i, SV650, Daytona 675, and then the Buell XB12Ss. I loved each of those bikes for different reasons.

The RC8 has been a dream bike of mine since I first saw it, so when I had a chance to buy one, I decided I at least wanted to test ride it and see how crazy it was. To my surprise, it's not the maniac killer bike I thought it (and other superbikes) would be! It's weirdly easy to ride, surprisingly comfortable and roomy, smooth power, and not that intimidating. Sure it can go absolutely nuts if I twist the throttle at certain RPMs, but it's up to me when that happens. The Buell XB could do the same thing, you just rode it nice and easy in town, and let it rip on the backroads.

There's also something higher quality about the RC8 (I mean there better be, sucker cost a bit more than the XB!). Everything just fits together so nice, no slop anywhere. It sounds dumb, but it does feel really good when you're riding it.

I know that was all a bit rambly, so I'll try to summarize: there is almost nothing similar feeling between the XB and the RC8, despite them both being v-twin sportbikes. And I like both of them in different ways. The XB for it's simplicity and low end torque and almost ZERO maintenance needs. Gives me a real peace of mind that it will just put on forever and ever and do everything I ask of it. The RC8R for making me sit and stare at it and then hop on and feel "special" when I ride it.

I will always have a love for Buells, and since my XB hasn't sold yet I am still riding it occasionally and remembering why I liked this bike in the first place!

I’d be curious to hear how and RC8 compares up against a 1125 or RC8.

It looks like a sweet ride! Enjoy!!!

Sorry to see you get rid of your Buell, but like everyone else, I have nothing bad to say about it's replacement.
    I'm a KTM fan as well

Good luck with the new ride!!
    Jack-O-Lantern
    2006 Buell XBRS LightningBolt
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/album.php?albumid=129

Stay limber. Swinging a leg over that tail section doesn't get easier as you age.

Ummm... Why not keep both? You know there is no LIMIT to the number of motorcycles you can own?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast