Thread: Is a 2007 xb12s Actuator compatible with 2009 xbss

Is a 2007 xb12s Actuator compatible with 2009 xbss

Not ready to pull the trigger on an aftermarket exhaust yet (got some minor maintenance and such to pay for first), but my IEV actuator stopped working. Found a used actuator off a 2007 - looks like Serial SO138.2AA 6243.

Is a 2007 xb12s actuator compatible with a 2009 xb12ss?

Hoping to get it on the cheap, say $30 or $40 as a temp fix.

As far as I know, they're the same. Did you check the system out, try pulling the cable, does the valve move on the muffler, take the actuator apart and check the innards, sometimes the teeth on the gears break or wear off. There is also a post about using a Ford actuator with some minor mod.
    Special Ops after market muffler was a top rated muffler and it retains the valve !

Previous post, not by me.

You can fix it back to stock for $60. The stock setup with a working exhaust valve is fantastic.

Web search for Dorman 911-912. This is a Ford intake tract valve controller. You can find them all over, by different manufacturers, for $50 - $60.

The construction of these is substantially stronger than the one the Buell came with. I've taken two apart so far and it's night and day. The part that fails is the strain relief / overshot gear that keeps the gear teeth from breaking or deforming when the cable reaches end of travel. OEM part is plastic. Replacements use stamped steel. The gear sections are much taller on the replacements too. Here's what the inside of one looks like:

You'll need to change out the arm where the cable connects to make it work on the Buell. Otherwise form factor is identical. Replacement uses a lever, Buell needs a bell crank.

Here's what the new one looks like:

Grind off the weld at the arm and it pops right off the shaft with a little persuasion. Do the same for the bell crank on the broken OEM unit.

Install the bell crank on the new controller and tack weld it. Orientation is important. You can either note the orientation by taking a picture before you remove the original or you can just make sure the flat part is parallel with the bottom edge as shown in the pic below. Some controllers have reference dots that show the home and fully extended positions as viewed through the cable hole. Once of the pics above has it.

You'll also need to make a cable hanger out of a scrap piece of metal and a file as shown above. Also not critical. Note the bent tab on this one to prevent it from rotating.

Next pic shows it installed in the airbox cover with cable and bracket installed.

Make sure it works when done:

http://www.greasygringo.com/temp/BuellEVA_05.mov

Mine's been working great for a year and a half now. The setup works great . . . but keeping that valve and cable moving freely is a bit of a pain. Check them every time you do your oil so save having to replaced the controller when the valve gets stuck.

Jason

Thanks for the info. Lunaticfringe had the same suggestion to use a dorman unit. I'll look further into that.