Thread: Check ur nuts...

Check ur nuts...

Been enjoying the EBR, but it has slowly developed issues. Basically, sometimes at start up it would rev up to just under 3K and slowly idle back down, maybe 2 seconds time. I normally cruise around the 3-4K rpm range. The Surging in that range was getting really bad.

On the last ride, I pulled into a parking lot to sit in the shade a bit. Looking over I see a stud. Don't studs normally come with nuts installed? Well ended up losing 2 opposite corner nuts on the front header. Didn't get the class 10 flanged nuts, (10mm) but they had some class 8 non flanged. (11mm) Gonna order the proper nuts. No room for a socket on the 11mm head.

So install the new incorrect hardware. I can hear the front header moving just a bit. Short story long....

That was my issue. I have heard of exhaust leaks pulling in air and causing the ECU to think its lean and add fuel. That was the other thing, on that very ride I noticed it was starting to smell rich as well. Bike runs great, a lot smoother, idle is still a little high. Guesstimating 1600-1700 rpm. I was going to hook up the laptop and see what the ECU was doing, but glad I saw the missing hardware. Never heard the typical exhaust tick leak sound. Already looks like the mpg is going up. ~36mpg so far.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by rb70383 View Post
    Been enjoying the EBR, but it has slowly developed issues. Basically, sometimes at start up it would rev up to just under 3K and slowly idle back down, maybe 2 seconds time. I normally cruise around the 3-4K rpm range. The Surging in that range was getting really bad.

On the last ride, I pulled into a parking lot to sit in the shade a bit. Looking over I see a stud. Don't studs normally come with nuts installed? Well ended up losing 2 opposite corner nuts on the front header. Didn't get the class 10 flanged nuts, (10mm) but they had some class 8 non flanged. (11mm) Gonna order the proper nuts. No room for a socket on the 11mm head.

So install the new incorrect hardware. I can hear the front header moving just a bit. Short story long....

That was my issue. I have heard of exhaust leaks pulling in air and causing the ECU to think its lean and add fuel. That was the other thing, on that very ride I noticed it was starting to smell rich as well. Bike runs great, a lot smoother, idle is still a little high. Guesstimating 1600-1700 rpm. I was going to hook up the laptop and see what the ECU was doing, but glad I saw the missing hardware. Never heard the typical exhaust tick leak sound. Already looks like the mpg is going up. ~36mpg so far.
    but it has slowly developed issues.

Of course it has. Why do you think they went out of business in less than 3 years? Acronym contains Buell name in it so reliability will be sub-par, things will fall off, parts will be found in parking lot while resting under shady tree, you will be stranded. Any esteemed engineer or quality-control manager could have and would have told you to buy Japanese cycle particularly Honda. Superior build quality plus infinite machining tolerances as part of Japanese cultures. And fasteners will not fall off or exhaust rich with unburned hydrocarbons causing massive pollution. Cannot and will not recommend any Buell product due to pollution problems plus voltage regulators not properly shimmed for cool running temps in celsius from factory just another design flaw.

Warm Regards,
    TEABAG

You had me going, until the end, very funny !

Thanks for the report rb! These do vibrate a ton and those nuts only get torqued to 15ft/lbs. The serrated flange on them is important Maybe some of the extra vibration is trying to lug it around at such a low RPM?
    Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 10.27.07 AM.png

I get about 36-39 mpg as well.

You have ECM access via laptop?? How'd you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    You had me going, until the end, very funny !
    Ha! Me too.

LF, WTF? Keyboard has to dry off now.

The low RPM is very possible. 4 wheel daily is a diesel, and well the XB is the diesel version of my 2 bikes. Normally try to keep it high 3K around town. Low 3's I can feel the vibs start. I keep it out of that range.

Haven't tried the ECU yet, but doing some reading it should be able to view live data. I got the programmable ECM, if that fact matters but I don't see why. I had to reprogram when I deleted the secondary and swapped to a 44T.

When I had my bike apart I had basically printed the diagram for all the torque specs. Saved my bacon a few times. RTFM!!

I'm impressed only had 2 bolt leftover when I got it back together. Took me a few but realized those where from the de-solenoid. lol

Last edited by rb70383; 08-02-2019 at 08:06 AM.