Thread: Airbox decal adhesive

Airbox decal adhesive

One of my letters on my airbox came off, but I still have it (I took it off before it came off entirely to save). I can only find threads on how to take the decals off, but don't know what sort of adhesive would be best for getting it back on.

Quote Originally Posted by RidetheLightning View Post
    One of my letters on my airbox came off, but I still have it (I took it off before it came off entirely to save). I can only find threads on how to take the decals off, but don't know what sort of adhesive would be best for getting it back on.
    One of my the letters on my 1125 was starting to lift, so I just masked the tank around the letter with painters tape and super glued down the corner. The tape was just there to catch any adhesive that squeezed out.

To replace a full letter, I'd probably use the same technique, but may look into a different adhesive since super glue can be a bit aggressive towards plastics and skin (LOL).

Trying to avoid superglue, or anything else really harsh in case someday I do want to remove the letters on purpose. I saw someone in a generic motorcycle forum say they use rubber cement, so might go with that since it would be easy to clean if it doesn't work well. I live in Phoenix and noticed the letters had a little give to them on a real hot day, but so far no others have given out like this one.

Trying to avoid superglue, or anything else really harsh in case someday I do want to remove the letters on purpose. I saw someone in a generic motorcycle forum say they use rubber cement, so might go with that since it would be easy to clean if it doesn't work well. I live in Phoenix and noticed the letters had a little give to them on a real hot day, but so far no others have given out like this one.
    I live in Phoenix also, and finding a glue that wont soften with the heat can be a trick. The superglue worked fine for the one corner, but let me know what you come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    this stuff is awesome and readily available.

Attachment 12228
    Thanks lunatic, ordering a bottle now!

Keep us posted! Thx!

I sort of have a solution
    Take the rest of the letters off. I love the look of my debadged Buell.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jack-O-Lantern
    2006 Buell XBRS LightningBolt
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/album.php?albumid=129

Quote Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post
    I sort of have a solution
    Take the rest of the letters off. I love the look of my debadged Buell.
    haha I knew someone would suggest that. Like I said, I found plenty of threads on how to take off the letters, so maybe I'm the weird one...My letters are the dark gray and its on a cherry bomb airbox so I like the combo, for now at least.

haha I knew someone would suggest that. Like I said, I found plenty of threads on how to take off the letters, so maybe I'm the weird one...My letters are the dark gray and its on a cherry bomb airbox so I like the combo, for now at least.
    Yea those do look nice.
    Good Luck and post some pictures when you are done.
    Jack-O-Lantern
    2006 Buell XBRS LightningBolt
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/album.php?albumid=129

will do Luis. I actually went with the 3M adhesive spray in favor of the fact that it may be slightly less permanent. The reviews on the other stuff sounded like it was pretty powerful, which would normally be a plus but made me nervous. Needs a wash first, but then I'll put the decal on and take some pics.