Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch misadjustment

Clutch misadjustment

I just replaced the stator in my '08 XB12Ss and had to remove the primary chain, clutch, etc. as part of the job. I think I followed the service manual to the tee, but my clutch lever doesn't seem to bottom out on the grip anymore. I had to make an adjustment to the clutch adjuster on the primary case and I've adjusted the clutch cable adjuster to get about 1/8" of freeplay on the lever. I also adjusted the primary chain to have between 3/8 - 1/2" of play (cold adjustment).

If the clutch lever doesn't bottom out on the grip, is that even an issue? Does it sound like a familiar misadjustment? Bike runs and shifts fine.

Cant help with the adjustment per say, but what causes the primary lip to break off? Nothing binding?

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesozoic View Post
    I just replaced the stator in my '08 XB12Ss and had to remove the primary chain, clutch, etc. as part of the job. I think I followed the service manual to the tee, but my clutch lever doesn't seem to bottom out on the grip anymore. I had to make an adjustment to the clutch adjuster on the primary case and I've adjusted the clutch cable adjuster to get about 1/8" of freeplay on the lever. I also adjusted the primary chain to have between 3/8 - 1/2" of play (cold adjustment).

If the clutch lever doesn't bottom out on the grip, is that even an issue? Does it sound like a familiar misadjustment? Bike runs and shifts fine.
    If the clutch lever doesn't bottom out on the grip, is that even an issue?

yes.

Does it sound like a familiar misadjustment?

yes...or incorrect reassembly procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    If the clutch lever doesn't bottom out on the grip, is that even an issue?

yes.

Does it sound like a familiar misadjustment?

yes...or incorrect reassembly procedure.
    What do you think I should look at first? The simplest of the adjustments is the clutch cable itself - that wouldn't be my first suspicion. The clutch adjuster on the primary then? Or the chain tension?

How did you adjust the clutch at the primary? Should be counterclockwise until light bottom and then about 1/2 turn clockwise (With my Muller Power Clutch it is more like 1/4 to 3/8 turn). The clutch cable should be loosened prior to this adjustment. If you haven't tried that, do it and see if that changes anything.

Possibly a broken clutch ramp on the primary cover?

Check that the balls in the ramp are in their grooves.

Is it possible to put that adjustment screw jam nut in backwards? Not even sure if this would matter

Quote Originally Posted by TapRoot View Post
    Is it possible to put that adjustment screw jam nut in backwards? Not even sure if this would matter
    You probably could, but it should be obivious when the spring doesnt stick.

Capture.JPG

The Jam nut wouldn't affect the adjustment at the primary. OCGM has it right, then adjust the cable at the part under the boot, THEN at the lever if needed later.

I adjust my clutch to disengage completely leaving a finger space between the grip. It's how I ride (covering the clutch with 2 fingers) and makes sure you can disengage it without trapping your other fingers in an emergency. The clutch won't over-disengage, but you want free play when the lever is out of course. FYI, YMMV, IMO, FWIW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast