Thread: So...I think I need a new stator

So...I think I need a new stator

It all started last week, I went to the barber shop and when I was leaving the bike wouldn't start. Thinking it was just a dead battery I called AAA for a jump and as I was on the phone waiting for them she fired up so I rode home thinking nothing of it. Fast forward a week and I go to start the bike dead battery again so I jumped it and continued on my ride. About half way to my destination my dash went out completely at which point I couldn't decide if I should just go home or not, ultimately I decided to continue. I'm pulling up to my destination 11 miles from home and she just completely shuts at the stop light before turning into the shopping center. I trie to fire her up and nothing. Turn the key off put it neutral and push it to the parking lot about 5 yards in 85 degrees and I tried again to start it this time the dash comes back on and I get clicking, symptoms of a dead battery so this leads me to believe it's the stator. I'm in the middle of moving right now so I won't be able to fix it right away but I don't want it to sit at my dad's house forever which is where I had her towed.

Same thing basically happened to me on my wife's xb9, had battery readings all over the place, intermittent charge problems, went dead them work, ped, shut off onme a few times, with the help of Cooter and Silverider they helped a lot with it, found out mine was a voltage regulator failure, had it replaced and runs great ever since, just an FYI.
    There are some of my posts on the forum if you want Togo back and reference them

Quote Originally Posted by Pittboy View Post
    Same thing basically happened to me on my wife's xb9, had battery readings all over the place, intermittent charge problems, went dead them work, ped, shut off onme a few times, with the help of Cooter and Silverider they helped a lot with it, found out mine was a voltage regulator failure, had it replaced and runs great ever since, just an FYI.
    There are some of my posts on the forum if you want Togo back and reference them
    Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it. I wonder if the ECM I just got will help me pinpoint the issue.

First check all of your grounds, clean them off no matter what they visually look like. Second have your battery checked under load, if it's neither of those check the voltage reg and make sure it's working correctly. It sounds like poor ground connections and or weak battery.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by cap1 View Post
    Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it. I wonder if the ECM I just got will help me pinpoint the issue.
    NO, it won't.

use link below... section 1.1 and 1.9---it's all there for the asking.
    a simple DC VOLTS check when running reveals if problem associated with charging system or battery.
    a simple OHMS test reveals where the problem lies if the charging system is the culprit.

your comment "leads me to believe it's the stator" tells me you're a novice with these things and might find factory recommended trouble-shooting procedures challenging. if so simply seek local help. these OEM charging systems are both robust, and simple to properly trouble-shoot.

http://www.ukbeg.com/pash/2008%20Bue.../99493-08Y.pdf

Recyclops has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    your comment "leads me to believe it's the stator" tells me you're a novice with these things and might find factory recommended trouble-shooting procedures challenging. if so simply seek local help. these OEM charging systems are both robust, and simple to properly trouble-shoot.

http://www.ukbeg.com/pash/2008%20Bue.../99493-08Y.pdf
    This assessment would be correct and I appreciate the tip. I'll see if I can find local help and if not I'll try to tackle it on my own.

I had the exact same symptoms and it turned out to be the voltage regulator. Once I got around to following the manual and properly diagnosing the problem it was obvious. Take your time and get a good multimeter. Test everything twice if it's your first time testing the electrical, and write everything down to compare your testing. I find that forum help is good when it looks like you've put in a good effort to search and learn, and can pinpoint an issue rather than having a broad question.

Also search for and check "connector 77". I was hoping that was my problem (cheap fix). It's worth a shot. The connector is upgraded if you buy a new voltage regulator (from St. Paul HD). Good luck!

Its super easy to test your stator. Almost dumb that's how easy it is. Start there.