If all goes well, I may have an increase in my commute for an undetermined set of time. It will be going from ~7 to ~100miles.
So got me to thinking about getting another XB just for commuting.

Who commutes >50 miles mainly by bike?

Having an EBR and a 9R, I like the upright for longer distance riding, duh! but don't need triple digit hp for a commuter, wait, there are a couple passing zones....Hmmm
Both my bikes have lowered pegs as well, that helps out a lot. 6' here.

Before I bought the EBR, I was set on getting a Zero DSR. Eventually I would still like to get one.

Some quick brainstorming, I think an SS or an Ulysses. Storage, rain gear, tools, etc.., upright riding and I would leave the 12 gearing, lower cruising rpm. Do the windshields help that much on a Uly? Never thought about it but is do Ulys get worse mileage? Also I think A Uly wears bags better then a Lightning. However I doubt I will ever take it off road as that was the reason for the DSR. Which brings up is there any advantage of a Uly for commuting if it never leaves the road? I think I a Uly isn't the best, but an SS with bags.

Not to start another 9 vs 12, but for commuting? Does a 9 have enough torque to pull 12 gearing?

On easy rides I've gotten as high as 50mpg on the XB. (03 XB9R)

Also what about tires for commuting? Just the "standard" sport touring are the only choices correct?

What's everyone's take on longer commuting on a bike in general?

Almost sounds like a ploy for an excuse to get another bike....