Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Commuter Buells

Commuter Buells

If all goes well, I may have an increase in my commute for an undetermined set of time. It will be going from ~7 to ~100miles.
    So got me to thinking about getting another XB just for commuting.

Who commutes >50 miles mainly by bike?

Having an EBR and a 9R, I like the upright for longer distance riding, duh! but don't need triple digit hp for a commuter, wait, there are a couple passing zones....Hmmm
    Both my bikes have lowered pegs as well, that helps out a lot. 6' here.

Before I bought the EBR, I was set on getting a Zero DSR. Eventually I would still like to get one.

Some quick brainstorming, I think an SS or an Ulysses. Storage, rain gear, tools, etc.., upright riding and I would leave the 12 gearing, lower cruising rpm. Do the windshields help that much on a Uly? Never thought about it but is do Ulys get worse mileage? Also I think A Uly wears bags better then a Lightning. However I doubt I will ever take it off road as that was the reason for the DSR. Which brings up is there any advantage of a Uly for commuting if it never leaves the road? I think I a Uly isn't the best, but an SS with bags.

Not to start another 9 vs 12, but for commuting? Does a 9 have enough torque to pull 12 gearing?

On easy rides I've gotten as high as 50mpg on the XB. (03 XB9R)

Also what about tires for commuting? Just the "standard" sport touring are the only choices correct?

What's everyone's take on longer commuting on a bike in general?

Almost sounds like a ploy for an excuse to get another bike....

You can see where I live, before retiring last year, I would commute into Hoboken Mon to Fri with my Ully, I have the racks on the back with soft bags plus a tank bag, I have Continental road tires on it. It's great on the roads which are mostly multi lane high speed highways, 55mph but they go 75 - 80+. Oddly, I have never been caught in the rain so, I have nothing to say about that. The bike handles great in traffic.

P.S. I'm 5'9", so I don't have a problem. Its about 75 miles round trip.
    Last edited by njloco; 08-06-2019 at 01:55 PM.

How long of a commute? I had to get dropped pegs for my firebolt. Legs were too bunched up. Uly's have dropped pegs to begin with?

I'd get a s3t. Much better for communing in my opinion. I have a s2t

Really a tuber? Hmmm What years were the S3T? Havent though about tubers.

Not sure about the 9 but I ride an 05 xb12r with lowered pegs, LSL riser kit eliminates clip ons and TKC 70’s on/ off road tires. I’m 41 and have done many 100 plus one way mile day trips. Though very doable all around as far as comfort goes I always where a back pack so have yet to try bags. I bet the 9 would be a great commuter, I guess it comes down to how much you need to carry.

I rode a Cyclone M-2 for about 3500 miles in a month and a half all over the PNW and Canada. It had XB suspension and I thought it was the most comfortable bike I ever sat on. Still a carb bike too for simplistic repairs if that's your thing.

Then I recovered and padded an urban assault seat for the STT and I would feel confident to chase the IronButt riders for tens of thousands of miles. The cushy seat is perfect and the tall STT suspension makes for a a caddy ride that still corners confidently.

I'd think an S2T or S3T (I don't know the difference) would be a fine choice as well, a bit better wind protection and they look so nice with the bags on. Orange tubes and grey plastics FTW!

The s3t were built from 97 to 02 I'd buy a 99 or newer preferably 02 so you can have fuel injection.

Orange with Grey!! Is the STT Uly high? I know nothing about the carb'd buells. I imagine easy to work on.
    Was EFI only on the 02 Buell's? and there after of course.

I'd definitely need a new seat.

The STT is high, maybe as tall as a Uly? With the padded seat my 36" inseam is almost straight with both feet flat A lower seat is a 3"! difference.

Carb'd Buell's are stick-and-hammer simple. Upgrade to the same carb that upgrades a Sportster and it's even better.

I thought the X-1 was the First FI Buell? Man I need to learn more about tubers. I really like them, especially with XB suspension.
    Custer Nat'l Park:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast