Thread: Is repacking an exhaust required?

I have a jardine gp-1 and I was wondering what the consequences are if I did not repack my exhaust when I hit 5,000 miles? I love the look and sound but i want to maximize performance, Will a lack of packing hinder performance? Thanks.

You will lose a little top end the more open the muffler becomes, to a point, then it will level off at a certain level of loss. If you dont mind the noise, just leave it.

Less resistance will affect airflow, dunno if will be +/- though.

I didn't repack and the tail piece pretty much ripped out. My brothers riped out on the front piece. I suggest repacking it. It's pretty easy to do.

i just took all the packing out of mine...like it louder, not sure how it effects performance yet. Im sure a tune is needed since it is most likely running a bit more lean.

How will the sound change? I got a lot of miles left until I have to worry about it but will it get louder?

Yes you will lose performance.

Running an unpacked Jardine is basically the equilavent to running an OPEN exhaust/non-airflow regulated muffler.

Keep in mind Jardine is nothing more than a "Slip-On". According to Jardine, you are required to have the slip-on pipe packed properly to regulate the exhaust outlet therefore allowing adequate airflow for maximum performance (in which what you seek).

My 2ยข

note that without the packing the pipe will vibrate far too much. The pop rivits will pull out and minor repair work will need to occur. I know this from experience. I had to chop an 1" off mine and redrill the holes for the pop rivits.

Thanks fellas, Is it easy to repack your self or is it a shop recommended maintenance?

Bronc,

ASB has a repack kit available and it costs about $40. I think...
    It's definitely a DIY project. You, the kit, yer muffler, and a 6-pack.
    Maybe a fan, if it's as hot there as it is here...

If you put a race performance muffler on your bike that designed to last 5000 mi between repackings, it should be part of your regular maintenance to maintain it. As the muffler looses performance so does your bike. As stated by some others here, it will eventually vibrate itself to pieces. Then, you'll have to scramble to replace it and you can't just put on your stock one after you modified the ecm, etc, b/c you upgraded the muffler.

I'm with you, if it was your goal to improve the sound, not so much as the performance of your bike. That's how I see it/saw it, but that doesn't change the consequences. If the packing isn't replaced or if its removed, it will vibrate until the rivets fail. Even if you decide to do it before the rivets fail, it may still blow out as the stretched holes weaken the materials and it can't survive the demands placed on it when that happens.

A couple of my buds actually replaced the rivets outright w/a set of screws that they locktite'd on. That seems to have helped the muffler survive the stretched out holes.

As far as the sound, it becomes tinny. The vibration of metal against metal becomes prevalent as the exhaust quiets b/c the packing comes loose. A properly packed exhaust gives the best growl.

Adamlee, thanks for that idea about overcoming a damaged exhaust. I'da never considered cutting down the pipe. Good save!

Special K!
    Central Texas Hill Country Hellbuellies
    "I'm a Hellbuelly! What the hell are you?"

"A skittish motor-bike with a touch of blood in it is better than all the riding animals on Earth..."

--T.E. Lawrence

I just repacked mine for $27 plus $2 for some new rivets. I used an fmf "blanket" or "pillow", forgot its exact name.

Definitely brought back some low/mid torque, along with my new clutch I can pull the front up in 2nd when I'm full on draggin the bike.