Thread: Looking for a local fellow rider in PA. Contemplating a Ully

Hybrid View

Looking for a local fellow rider in PA. Contemplating a Ully

Hello. I am contemplating a 2009/2010 Ulysses. I have been riding for 45+ years. I currently ride a 2003 Ultra and a BMW R1200 GS. Just sold my 2009 XR1200. Want to get a v twin again and the Ully sounds like something I would like. Having said all that I am looking for a fellow rider that resides near me that would be wiling to let me ride his Ulysses, swap bikes for a ride [ I would bring the GS], or rent me a Ully for an hour. I live just outside Philadelphia in Langhorne 19047.
    Thanks
    Joe

Paging “crazy tassles” or whatever his name is.

He’s probably busy appointing himself as “Hay King”

Thanks for the reply. I have friends in New Providence which isn't too far from Lunaticfringe. Nice XR. Just though I put that out there. I primarily ride paved roads 95% of the time. Off road would be mostly fire roads and gravel. My dirt riding days are over. The BMW is a great bike just doesn't have character such as say an XR?!

Joe, you are in good hands now. Lunatics advice is a like a shot of whiskey. Not for everyone, but honest to the core.

I’m not a Uly fan myself, but many who have owned them just love them. That said, the Uly’s little brother, the Ss is my favorite.

Welcome!

Lunaticfringe, great to see a pic of family. Boy isn’t Amos and Noah growing up fast.
    I’m about to get in the cart and head over your ways, just have to finish miking:
    D3206446-28EF-42D1-8E2A-86AE6B07AF19.jpeg
    See you soon,
    Eli

Im somewhat local to you guys as well.
    I enjoy long walks on the beach, tequila and Iron Horses over flesh ones.

LOL

As far as letting anyone ride my Buell. [It's a Lightningbolt so not what you are looking for]
    But that aside
    OOOO HELL NO!!
    Jack-O-Lantern
    2006 Buell XBRS LightningBolt
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/album.php?albumid=129

Dobe 1 that is awesome! Lmao!!! As far as renting or borrowing a bike, it will never happen!!!!! Sorry!
    Last edited by rchuff; 08-10-2019 at 09:30 PM.

Hello,
    I've also been riding 45+ years and have owned and ridden at least 35 different style motorcycles . Picked up my 09XT last spring 1500 mi from home and rode it back. I usually keep a bike for a short while and then roll them over for another but this one I like , a lot. Light ,fast (enough for an old guy), good gas mileage (70-75 mph) was all stock except for a K+N air filter which I swapped out for stock.
    First gear is a bit too high for around town stop and go traffic but is great on the highway . Never rode one until I picked it up .
    I'll buy a more appropriate bike for around town.

Hey Rocketeer: If that's your real calculated MPG it is running waaaay too lean

35-45MPG is about right and will net you 120-150 miles/fill-up with the bigger Uly tank and a comfortable reserve. I would suggest doing the usual checks for intake seal leaks and such.

If you are even slightly computer literate, A great diagnostic tool is ECMDroid from the GooglePlay store for free, and you'll need a Bluetooth dongle to communicate between the bike and the Android device (like your phone or tablet). I like mine from Buelltooth.com and you will find ECMDroid instructions there as well.

If you find your bike is in great running condition (FIRST!) and you end up needing to modify the tune, ECMDroid can load one (such as the Buell "race" tune for stock mufflers), or contact Tim at IDSpd.com for a plug-n-play ECM.

I totally understand people not wanting to have somebody they don't know ride their baby around town just to get an idea about a bike. I have gotten great feedback from Lunatic about his experience with the XT and I do appreciate his honesty. I just happen to be a big Harley fan and the Ully seemd like it would be a great fit. I have a touring or 2 up bike. I was looking for a "dual" purpose machine with great street credo but still able to ride on fire road or gravel and still have the harley rumble.