Thread: 04 XB12r died on me

04 XB12r died on me

I used to own a Lightning 12s back in the day, now I have an 04 XB12r. I just bought this bike about two weeks ago. It only has 3800 miles on it but it obviously has some age. So I pull up at a convenience store and go to park and I feel the bike die on me before I had a chance to hit the kill switch Then I go to try it again and the fuel pump won't prime and the engine light won't turn on, but all other lights are on including headlights. I checked all the basics(i think) So where do I start with the troubleshooting process? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Assuming You took care of this with your last Buell but if you don’t have a service manual go to Buellmods.com and download one for free. It’s always wise to purchase the Buelltooth dongle or install ecmspy on your laptop but you will still need to order the cable for communication to the bike. Did you check the 3 relays to the left of the cluster? Also your fuses to the right of your cluster. Could be simple as a ground or loose wire, I’d check all points including battery and get that tested if you’re unsure of it’s life. That’s low mileage on a great bike but it’s obviously sat most of it’s life. What you’re describing sounds electrical to me but if all that checks out the fuel pumps are notorious for failing especially after 10 years, not saying it’s your problem, just saying

...you could also unplug the fuel pump connector attached to the rear left frame rail right above the fuel pump, just follow the wire and use a multi meter looking for 12ish volts dc, that would be quick and easy

Thanks for the help TapRoot, thankfully it ended up being a simple blown ignition fuse which I've replaced and got some xtras. I also purchase a new service manual which I'm really glad that I have a hard copy that I can take out to the shop with me when I'm wrenching. I'm pretty sure that a wire got pinched when I was turning really sharp, so I also cinched up and neatened up all the wiring under the front fairing and added a few zip ties to hold things in place.

Glad to hear it! you're welcome