Thread: No start after rain

No start after rain

2003 xb9 lightning 1 year old fuel pump, injectors, plugs. Ran like a dream. Parked outside and got soaked in a downpour. Get back out, cranks but no start. Weak battery so I replaced it. No start. Sprayed with starting fluid and put some gas down the throttle body, starts and runs until the fuel supply runs out. Pump comes on and sounds healthy. What am I missing?

Thank you for the suggestion to chemically treat the connections. I'm finished with all the connectors I could find. No success. Any sensors that could be damaged? What should I check next?

Hopefully Lunatic will have you up and running ASAP but you couldn’t be in better hands. Until he comes back and saves the day let me see if I can help at all. Wet equals corrosion, rust and worst of all shorts. Did you check your fuses visually or with a meter? I know it’s pretty obvious visually but the diode will need to be checked with a meter I believe if you have one and if it would matter in this case but I would check it anyway. Second, on your relays did you try swapping them around? If one goes it’s pretty easy to tell when you swap them, you’ll lose an action or gain one that was lacking from a bad relay. Last and probably worse case scenario, did your ecm get wet? Hopefully not the case but almost sounds like a lack of ground or signal wire but then again we could correlate that to whatever is wrong obviously. Take it with a grain of salt, maybe read up on the manual a little in the trouble shooting areas if you haven’t already.

Anything watertight holds water well

Thanks for the good troubleshooting info
    You say you hear the fuel pump run. So that system is probably OK
    And you say it cranks over fine with the new battery. So all the switchgear, safety bypasses, and fuses are OK.
    It will run on starting fluid, so ignition is OK.

So, fuel is the culprit and you're left with only a few things.

It could be fouled plugs. Even though it runs on starting fluid, I would pull the plugs and either replace them or clean and dry them. Try cracking the throttle a little bit while cranking to lean it out slightly while starting.

The fuel injectors not getting any signal is also a possibility (like Lunatic said).
    Easily tested by checking for a pulsing signal on those wires while cranking. A test light works perfectly for this. There are also little adaptors you can buy from an auto parts store with lights in them. If you don't get a signal at the injector end, use the free .pdf manual download you can get from Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com to trace the wiring to the ECM plug and grounds for the injectors.

Other than that, is there gas in it?

Total blind guess here, but is it possible to get water into the gas tank? Water is heavier than gasoline, and would sink to the bottom of the frame where the pump sits. Maybe drain out current gas and refill the tank?