Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2004 Buell XB12R Firebolt, just acquired, now runs for first time in 5 years!

2004 Buell XB12R Firebolt, just acquired, now runs for first time in 5 years!

Hi guys, I threw a brand-new battery in my 2004 XB12R and it ran instantly!

Here's a video that I just posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-pjP9i98Dw

I was quite amazed.

The previous owner says it had a charging problem, and most likely needs the stator replaced. I'm going to run it for a while and see what happens.

The neutral light is on at all times even when in gear. Thoughts?

Jeff

Also, I just discovered that the headlight doesn't turn on.

As for the charging system, I put a voltage meter on the battery terminals. The battery is definitely charging; it goes up to about 14.3 and when it's revved up, it definitely seems to charge more.

Glad you got her running!

For the neutral light: In your fuse box there is a diode in one of the spots. Take it out and turn it around

Sounds like its charging, but could be intermittent. 98% of the time its the Voltage regulator, not the stator but test it using the manual to make sure before you buy anything. You can get a free .pdf download from Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com

...and another one awakens from the dead. Make sure the first thing you do is get a 1275 kit. From there you will need to purchase a hard tail Buell chopper kit, remove the fuel injection and add a carb. Now you will have yourself a ridiculously looking oversized big wheel. I’ll be happy to take those black plastics off your hand when you part it out. She’s a pretty one!

Follow-up: After realizing that the reason the headlights were off was that the fuse was missing (duh), they now work. Battery voltage across the terminals while running, with headlights on, tops out at about 13.93.

Lol!

Thanks! I reversed the diode, but it didn't fix the issue. I suppose the diode could be bad. Is this a common auto-parts store item?

Had the neutral light stay on on my wife's 06 xb9, was a bad neutral switch.

Thanks for that clue, I guess my next step will be to look up the neutral switch test in the manual

Hey guys, just a quick update, I have replaced the bent left handlebar, clutch lever and grip, the mirrors which were next to useless (stock is much better!!), the various footpeg springs, changed the engine and primary oil and filter, and ridden it pretty hard for a few days. It's a quick bike! I still have to deal with the neutral switch, and sometime this winter I'm going to change out the damaged fairing bracket, drive belt, and a few other things. In the spring it will get new tires.

My goal is to put it back to the way Eric Buell made it. If anyone wants to get rid of a stock license plate bracket, I am interested.

Here are some pictures from last week. EFFECTS.jpgIMG_20191005_123653705.jpgIMG_20191004_164552148_HDR.jpgIMG_20191004_164605295_HDR.jpgIMG_20191004_164622726_HDR.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast