Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 XB12 Long won't start

2009 XB12 Long won't start

Hi all, I am new to the forum and to this Bike. I bought it after it sat in a shed for 7 years (Previous owner has a DUI and then parked it).

I am doing my best to restore it and thought it would only need oil and battery and maybe empty gas tank and put fresh gas but I feel like it needs a lot more.

As of now I have done oil change for the swing arm and primary and changed the battery. I was hoping to hear the engine turn but when I put the key in the dash gauges went right then left. I don't hear the fuel tank kick on. and when I try to turn it on nothing happens (engine doesn't try to turn).

I checked the fuses and they seem fine. not sure how to check the bigger fuses but I tried switching a couple of them around and it did the same thing. Not sure how to trouble shoot from here and also not sure if this is relevant but the bike is black but has white stuff all over it and in it with some rust as well not sure if it is corrosion or what and what this might affect other than looks. any input is appreciated. thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You can swap the relays in the fuse box to check them as well. They are the same. If that doesn't do it, break out the voltmeter.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    You can swap the relays in the fuse box to check them as well. They are the same. If that doesn't do it, break out the voltmeter.
    Thanks Cooter for suggestion, I already tried switching the bigger fuzes/maybe there are the relays. nothing really changed and I am not sure how to go about using a voltmeter.

When you say the engine won't turn, do you even hear the starter working? Can you spin the engine by hand, to make sure it's not seized?

There may be a bunch of other things to check, but I wouldn't be surprised if your fuel pump is shot or clogged by now. The plastic transfer hose may also have a hole in it by this point, which is the problem I had.
    Pulling out the fuel pump is not the easiest of projects. If you're not even comfortable dealing with a voltmeter, this may be too much for you to tackle yourself.
    But hey, we all have to start from somewhere. So good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Endopotential View Post
    When you say the engine won't turn, do you even hear the starter working? Can you spin the engine by hand, to make sure it's not seized?

There may be a bunch of other things to check, but I wouldn't be surprised if your fuel pump is shot or clogged by now. The plastic transfer hose may also have a hole in it by this point, which is the problem I had.
    Pulling out the fuel pump is not the easiest of projects. If you're not even comfortable dealing with a voltmeter, this may be too much for you to tackle yourself.
    But hey, we all have to start from somewhere. So good luck!

Thank you Endopotential for input, i dont hear anything when i press start, normally i would think i would hear gas pump prime and maybe engine try to turn but nothing at all happens, no clicking nothing. battery is connected as lights are on etc.

thanks,
    Simon

Is the red "kill switch" on?

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^.
    Check the battery.
    Check and CLEAN all grounds and battery terminals.
    Check your fuses.

All the above, and also:

Most likely it's something electrical that is keeping your bike from just plain starting. Think fuses, relays, wires, grounds.

The fuel pump primes with key on, and kill switch flipped to "on". Hitting the starter shouldn't prime the pump.

Check that your sidestand switch isn't broken (that's a safety measure in a lot of bikes, unless someone jumped those wires)
    Check the wires in your right hand control - something broken here would prevent the red button or start switch from activating

Then if you can find it, trace the cable to your starter. I've never done this myself, but apparently you can mechanically short the terminals on the starter, to see if that will turn over the motor. If the starter works, then you know it's something upstream.

Just a matter of systematically thinking about all the things in the pathway, and working out one unit at a time. Good luck!
    Last edited by Endopotential; 08-29-2019 at 05:30 AM.

If I were you I would watch a quick video on how to use a multi meter when checking for DC voltage or one of us can walk you through it. You can buy a selectable not auto range meter ( selectable has the dial with multiple choices and is cheaper) they are like $15 for a decent one from Lowe’s or Home Depot. Then before getting crazy I’d get some contact cleaner, open the start/ throttle housing clean those contacts and make sure voltage has a clean path to travel on and the switches are making continuity, very good chance of oxidation setting in. Honestly like njloco said you should go through and clean all ground points also. You can also go to Buellmods.com and download your free service manual if you haven’t already, it’ll be your best friend. Keep us posted if you don’t mind, these guys will have you up and running.

The last decent meter I purchased was about 2 grand. Just saying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast