Thread: 3'd gear skipping under acceleration

3'd gear skipping under acceleration

My 2009 xb12Scg jumps when in 3'd gear..iv know of other bikes doing it n first gead but not 3,d...it shifts into 3,d sand drives just fine till I give it more than just a little gas,then it stays n 3'd but feels ,like its jumping in and out rapidly..iv heard of adjusting the shifter pawl all I find on that is for blasts and sportsters..I'm hoping thers a solution outside the crankcase

I doubt it's any adjustment. It sounds like a classic case of worn dogs. Most commonly in 2nd gear, but 3rd happens a lot too. You can either get new parts, remove the engine, split the case and replace them, or remove the engine, split the case, and send yours to:
    R & D Motor Sports Inc
    Clearwater, FL
    (727) 447-4552
    They can machine it to the specs of how you like it to shift.

It's not the end of the world repair-wise, as long as you can avoid the 'might-as-wells' that turn it into a project that never gets finished.

I think I may have picked up a bit of a speech impediment after reading that intro post.

Loose/worn belt

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I doubt it's any adjustment. It sounds like a classic case of worn dogs. Most commonly in 2nd gear, but 3rd happens a lot too. You can either get new parts, remove the engine, split the case and replace them, or remove the engine, split the case, and send yours to:
    R & D Motor Sports Inc
    Clearwater, FL
    (727) 447-4552
    They can machine it to the specs of how you like it to shift.

It's not the end of the world repair-wise, as long as you can avoid the 'might-as-wells' that turn it into a project that never gets finished.
    And they might also need the cases. Cost me close to $1000 to have it done.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by billykaw View Post
    My 2009 xb12Scg jumps when in 3'd gear..iv know of other bikes doing it n first gead but not 3,d...it shifts into 3,d sand drives just fine till I give it more than just a little gas,then it stays n 3'd but feels ,like its jumping in and out rapidly..iv heard of adjusting the shifter pawl all I find on that is for blasts and sportsters..I'm hoping thers a solution outside the crankcase

3,d sand drives just fine till I give it more than just a little gas

in 4,d mine sand drives really fine when i give it a little more gas cause i added 2 degrees of timing and re-curved the distributor advance.

my buggy.jpg

Looks like "Speed buggy". Was a great cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    3,d sand drives just fine till I give it more than just a little gas

in 4,d mine sand drives really fine when i give it a little more gas cause i added 2 degrees of timing and re-curved the distributor advance.

my buggy.jpg
    Sweet buggy Lunatic! I had a red one too
    Well, it was yellow until I rolled it. Then went to Earl Sheib for a "Viper" red paint job.
    O-v-e-r-s-p-r-a-y