Thread: 08 Uly, 10k miles. "16 / battery voltage too low"

Threaded View

08 Uly, 10k miles. "16 / battery voltage too low"

My Uly was a garage queen before I bought it a few months ago...an '08 with only 8,000 miles. The PO had it serviced just about every year (brake, oil, trans fluid change, overall inspection).

The other day as I was riding, the CE light came on. I mostly ignored it since the bike was running fine (I had not yet installed the Buelltooth). Later in the day, it failed to start (just clicking). I charged the battery and reinstalled it and it ran fine for the few miles home (I had left it at work due to the non start issue).

Since then, I installed the Buelltooth and got it to pair to ECMDroid. The only code from the ECMDroid was the aforementioned "16 / battery voltage too low".

The battery was new a/o August 2018 but I'm unsure how well the PO took care of it (he claimed to have kept it on a battery tender and there was a pigtail attached to the battery).

I tested the battery using the procedures in this post

-30A battery fuse looked great.
    -08 Uly...I don't think I have the #77 connectors in the same place (not visible when I removed the pulley cover)
    -i did not clean the grounds
    -removed derby cover, smelled like regular oil
    -battery had completed charging on a smart charger and was around 13.5V before installation...then I rode it around 5miles/20minutes home
    -ignition key on: 12.5V
    -after starting and holding it around 1500rpm: 11.86V

Clearly the battery is discharging. I have VR on order (I live in Italy so it's a bit of a wait, the local HD dealer still has the Buell sign up but wanted over $200 for a VR with a 2 week wait).

Another clue: I'm on my third low beam bulb in the last 1000 miles.

Tomorrow, I will buy a new battery, charge it and install.

IMG_20190902_162854-L.jpg

What are the chances it's just a bad battery vs. a VR?

Grazie!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dolomoto; 09-02-2019 at 04:13 PM.