Thread: what speedo should my 2007 xb9 have?

what speedo should my 2007 xb9 have?

Believe me I have searched and searched. I can't seem to find a definitive answer or trustworthy image. What should a stock 2007 Lightning xb9sx speedo/instrument cluster look like?
    Previous owner did various mods and I wonder if mine if the 'other' generation cuz the speed is WAY off. Like it'll say 50 while I'm going 35 and cruising speed on highways is 80 mph. There's no way. In the Seattle area, you're lucky if you even go 60.

Thanks

The PO could have replaced the needle incorrectly after installing a dash sticker?

Go to the fridge and grab a beer, go to Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com and use the free .pdf manual download so you can remove the instrument cluster from the bike. Basically, pull the windscreen and then the (3) 5/16 nuts off the back of it.
    Sip the beer
    Take all the phillips screws out of the back of the cluster and it will separate.
    Sip the beer
    Remove the needle(s) by prying straight up evenly. There is a cool 2-spoon trick you can youtube
    Sip the beer
    Plug the cluster in and turn on the ignition and kill switch. That will let the stepper motors re-set to zero.
    Sip the beer
    With the power still on carefully place the needles back on the pegs.
    Let go and if the stay at zero, push them down fully and re-assemble.
    Get another beer, stand back and admire your success

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhead View Post
    Believe me I have searched and searched. I can't seem to find a definitive answer or trustworthy image. What should a stock 2007 Lightning xb9sx speedo/instrument cluster look like?
    Previous owner did various mods and I wonder if mine if the 'other' generation cuz the speed is WAY off. Like it'll say 50 while I'm going 35 and cruising speed on highways is 80 mph. There's no way. In the Seattle area, you're lucky if you even go 60.

Thanks
    The cluster probably was probably taken from an older model. Newer models have more teeth on the 5th gear wheel than older. I do not remember, was it 48 vs 42 or whatever?

Oh ya...nice catch gunter. IIRC 2003 and earlier? They had a different speed sensor as well, 12V vs. 5V.

OP: Is the speedo needle really close to 0 when you are clutch out, 1st gear, idle (10-15mph)? If it does, then I'm right the needles are clocked incorrectly.
    If it does read clutch out, 1st gear, idle (10-15mph), then gunters is right and get a later cluster.

Love this place, there's always something weird here

Sorry been meaning to get back to this - So what Gunter said is what I'm wondering. Since it's an '07 I wonder if he put on the 'older' one which I've read will put the speedo about 20% off. That's what's I'd say mine is: very proportional around 20% off. When I'm going "90" it's seems more like 70. If it was was clocked wrong (looks like stock gauges/no aftermarket stickers thangs) it we be a pretty consistent __mph off always. I tried looking up various gauges n stuff on ebay, etc. but most people have them mislabeled.
    Here's what is on mine. Is this stock for an 07 XB9 Lightning??
    20190914_105555.jpg
    Last edited by Thunderhead; 09-16-2019 at 07:38 PM.

I am pretty sure that is what mine looked like on my 2003 CityX. What is infuriating is that I actually don't have a picture of the gauges.
    I have side, rear, front.
    Sorry
    But
    Maybe Niklos can help out. He just finished posting pics of his 2005 in the following thread.
    https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...ally-finished-!
    Jack-O-Lantern
    2006 Buell XBRS LightningBolt
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/album.php?albumid=129

Mmhhmm. Checked out that thread, zoomed in on the 2nd pic. That's the same as mine.
    So what year did compatibility/accurate swapability end? Cooter's saying possibly 2003. Or is it '05? '07?

Sip the beer ?

LOL NJ^^

Thunderhead, The dash cover can be swapped as well. The way you describe it now, being 20% off sure sounds like Gunter was right.

IIRC it's 2003 for sure, and maybe 2004 (but not 2005-up). I would look up what part number the speed sensor is for 2003, 2004, 2005, when it changes, that's the new one you have and the earliest dash you can get thats compatible.

I have a dash I could send you to check out? You could use the guts to make sure it works. PM me if you want me to send it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhead View Post
    Sorry been meaning to get back to this - So what Gunter said is what I'm wondering. Since it's an '07 I wonder if he put on the 'older' one which I've read will put the speedo about 20% off. That's what's I'd say mine is: very proportional around 20% off. When I'm going "90" it's seems more like 70. If it was was clocked wrong (looks like stock gauges/no aftermarket stickers thangs) it we be a pretty consistent __mph off always. I tried looking up various gauges n stuff on ebay, etc. but most people have them mislabeled.
    Here's what is on mine. Is this stock for an 07 XB9 Lightning??
    20190914_105555.jpg
    Here is a picture I found on the internet. Mine is the same. And I am 100% sure mine is stock (but it is a 2005 Buell) :

Keep in mind that I don't live in the US and that I use kmh and not MPH.

Last edited by Niklos; 09-17-2019 at 07:03 AM.