Thread: 2007 Buell xb12r would not crank/start.

2007 Buell xb12r would not crank/start.

So. Here we go. I turn the ignition key on, every electrical component turns on such as lights, speedo and so on. I press the start switch and I get nothing until I let go of the switch and I get a one solid click from the left side relay and my starter. The day prior I ran the bike with seafoam to clean out the deposits and everything was working amazing and after it rained and I got home real quick and parked while it kept raining on it. Next day I get on my bike and that's when I got this issue. I used buellthooth to diagnose and I get nothing. No errors, I test everything and I can hear everything turn on, from fuelpump to injectors to sparkplugs. Bettery was recharged to Max and I still get that one solid click from relay and starter after letting go of the start button. Your input will be greatly appreciated and thank you.

Inactive
    you need to eliminate the battery and its cables as the source of this problem before you proceed as below. be damn sure the terminals are perfectly clean and cables firm and tight at both ends. after that simply jump the battery from a NON-RUNNING vehicle and see if it starts normally. if so then the problem is simply battery related.

your start button is part of the headlight positive feed circuit. it also activates the start relay when pressed. before you start ripping into wiring looms or removing the starter and its solenoid....do this:
    1-open up the right side switchgear cluster and check the starter button for corrosion and continuity. clean with aero-kroil or something similar and compressed air.
    2-simply replace the starter relay and thorougly clean the female spades that it fits into. same method as #1 above. i don't like simply switching them.
    moisture is the key to your dilemna plus the fact that you have no historical fault codes.

ALSO CHECK the "light" fuse in fuse box for corrosion and loose spade connections. have seen this scenario cause a no-start situation similar to yours.

this link has relay info from me.

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...ross-reference
    Last edited by user_deleted; 09-05-2019 at 10:34 PM.

Sea Foam is the devil . Just say no.

Because it clicks when you release the start button... Try pressing the yellow start button hard and wiggling your finger a bit. If that works, buy a new one or take it apart and clean the contacts.

I'm betting it's a little corroded, and a common problem.

Outlaw: How DARE you sir! That's all T-bag drinks these days

I was taught by the great Nancy Reagan years ago to just say no and it hasn't failed me yet.