Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Catch Can V2.0

Banned

Catch Can V2.0

After figuring out that there is no any catch cans designed specifically for Buell breather reroute mod for sale anymore I decided to design my own catch can based on previous generation catch can you might be able to buy some time ago.

After performing some research I designed catch can CAD model with some improvements over previous generation catch can.

Here is the list of improvements:

- Added baffle between inlet and vent hole so now moisture will not go into the vent hole and will not squirt through the vent line filter;
    - Added o-ring seals for the screws posts so there is no need to use glue or anything else to seal the screw holes and you can easily disassemble the catch can and assemble it back;
    - Added notch for easier extracting the long seal from the groove;
    - Increased long seal o-ring section diameter in conjunction with using soft durometer silicone for this o-ring material for better sealing.

The design utilizes two custom CNC machined aluminum parts, the rest is existing parts from McMater Carr.

Here is some mockup

I emailed to kdfab.com with question about catch can they were selling some time ago and they said that they do not do them anymore because of the price raised crazy high. I'm not sure why the price raised higher, because of CNC work becomes cheaper with raising this industry.

Anyway, I just ordered the parts from China, will see how it will go.

If you have a wish to CNC the parts I can share the models and all information about the utilized components.

Here is my finished breather reroute kit

Last edited by TPEHAK; 08-27-2017 at 06:16 AM.

We get it.
    You're an engineer.
    And you love over engineering stuff for your Buell.
    It's nice work.
    But the system can just drain to atmosphere via a hose. If enough crap is coming out of your crank case breathers to require a catch can larger than a 5hr energy bottle, you have bigger problems then the fact that those fancy CNC cans aren't produced anymore.

It's cool.

Inactive
    this "device" rivals the ridiculousness of your factory AIRBOX designed and modified to hold a horn, wiring looms, relays and perhaps even a small thermos of delicious coffee for those early morning pleasure rides.
    anyone who believes a factory airbox should house such components has absolutely no understanding of an XB intake system.
    anyone who believes they need this "my God look how brilliant i am" device has absolutely no understanding of an XB engine breather system.

Like Carlos said, we get it. But you always seem to have a problem with your bike after you work on it. Will say it LOOKS COOL but don't need it.

Banned
    You do need catch can when you'r doing breather reroute for the same reason you need fuses in electric circuit. In most cases you might thing you do not need fuses because of it works without them, but when something happening it can burn your circuit and electrical components without fuse. Same thing for catch can, you might think system works without catch can, but when something happened it will squirt you motorcycle with oil or flood the breather line or pollute environment. So you do need catch can if you care what can happen.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    You do need catch can when you'r doing breather reroute for the same reason you need fuses in electric circuit. In most cases you might thing you do not need fuses because of it works without them, but when something happening it can burn your circuit and electrical components without fuse. Same thing for catch can, you might think system works without catch can, but when something happened it will squirt you motorcycle with oil or flood the breather line or pollute environment. So you do need catch can if you care what can happen.
    absolutely no logic whatsoever to the analogy you present.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 01-27-2018 at 10:09 AM.

Banned
    Here is how oil catch can works

Last edited by TPEHAK; 08-17-2017 at 02:27 PM.

You should run the output to the intake instead of to a filter for better PCV performance, and you know, better for the environment like you said...

Banned
    I'm going to vent the catch can in atmosphere through Stainless Steel muffler. I don't want to connect hoses back to airbox baseplate because of this is the main reason of this mod, I hate to deal with those hoses when I need to remove airbox baseplate because of it is PITA.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast