Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Buell Temp Sensor question

Another Buell Temp Sensor question

06 Uly: I noticed my fan wasn't coming on while shutting off my hot bike. Pulled out the Buelltooth and sure enough the fan works as it's supposed to with the Buelltooth. I figure it must be a temp sensor located on the rear head. So, I bought a new sensor, made a removal tool, (someone can have it when I'm finished), removed the old sensor and immediately noticed a difference in the connector, (not the 1/2 inch bolt that is the temp sensor, but the connector). Here's a pic:

IMG_3446.jpg

Do you think I can just cut off both connectors and swap the old, "male push-in" connection onto the new sensor harness and replug it in? I really don't want to mess with the connector on the bike side since there's hardly any room to work with.
    Also, is this harness wire a single wire or wire strand? At 80 bucks a shot I don't want to do any exploratory surgery.
    Thanks

IMG_3443-1.jpg

Free to good home when i'm done.

Inactive
    ward: your 2006 ulysses has the old style temp sensor. the part # for same is 32564-99Y or 32564-99YC. it was delisted about 4 years ago and superseded by the latch plug model you bought. there are still some new floating around online including ebay. swapping the old style bullet connector over to your new ETS can be done but is tricky.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 09-13-2019 at 02:50 PM.

The fan doesn't always HAVE to come on when you shut off the key. It only does when it's over the set temp in the Fan Settings section under ECM Parameters.

You can check the temp sensor itself by looking at the "Live Data" screen on the same ECMDroid/Buelltooth you checked the fan with.

I would double check the Buell factory part number first to see if it's the same sensor. Then, sure I guess? Make SURE to check it's data output the same way you should have checked the old one before you bought the new one $$

FYI, temp sensors and O2 sensors are sensitive to wire length, keep it as close to the same as you can.

Good luck!

Edit: Lunatic looked up the part number for you, sounds like your GTG
    Last edited by Cooter; 09-13-2019 at 12:00 AM.

I love making my own custom tools, my temp sensor is fine (I think) but I’m headed out to the garage to make a temperature sensor tool!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    ward: your 2006 ulysses has the old style temp sensor. the part # for same is 32564-99Y or 32564-99YC. it was delisted about 4 years ago and superseded by the latch plug model you bought. there are still some new floating around online including ebay. swapping the old style bullet connector over to your new ETS can be done but is tricky.
    Thanks.
    Swapping the old style over to the new style would be too hard for me to do due to the short length of the female side of the bullet connector. I think cutting off the new latch type connector and splicing the old male bullet connector onto the new harness might be the best option. I"m just wary about length, (like Cooter mentioned), solder? splice? Nature of the wire, etc.
    I'll first check to see if I can find the old style online.

Cooter, the fan never comes on when I shut down, even when it's really hot. I can't remember having a problem with the fan not coming on before I swapped to a race muffler and reprogrammed the ECM with Buelltooth, but not sure since I wasn't always paying attention to the fan.

Well, looks like i made a bonehead decision of 80 bucks by buying a temp sensor before verifying the old one was bad. (I spent thousands of dollars for a college degree and learned less in some classes than I did today changing this sensor for $ 80, so all's not lost).

Temp sensor reading at ambient temperature. It's 90 degrees here in California today.
    IMG_3459.jpg

ohm meter reading after putting sensor in hot tap water.

IMG_3457.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast