Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Buell Temp Sensor question

Ohm meter reading after piling ice cubes on the sensor:

IMG_3456.jpg
    Last edited by jl551c; 09-13-2019 at 07:51 PM.

ohm meter reading after sitting out in the sun:

IMG_3454.jpg

The chart which shows that the ohm meter readings I made closely correspond with the chart, which also tells me my original temp sensor is likely good, which also tells me I made a bonehead mistake, which also tells me I need to continue troubleshooting.

IMG_3460.jpg

All is not for waste when it comes to the sensor removal, however. Looking at the sensor wire I have chafing in a couple of places. They're not bad enough to prevent end to end continuity, but now I can wrap it in some kind of heat resistant tape or something to prevent a problem down the road.

IMG_3462.jpg

Well, that's good news and bad news but also, you've educated some of us.
    Last edited by njloco; 09-14-2019 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jl551c View Post
    06 Uly: I noticed my fan wasn't coming on while shutting off my hot bike. Pulled out the Buelltooth.....
    Quote Originally Posted by jl551c View Post
    Cooter, the fan never comes on when I shut down, even when it's really hot.
    I guess I don't understand the problem. Are you concerned the fan does NOT come on when you turn the key off?

Does the fan work while riding?
    Is "speed based fan control" checked under ECM Parameters?

IMO, I'd the old sensor back in after I heat shrinked the insulator to repair the chaffing (no need for 'high temp'), return the new sensor, buy $80 worth of beer because the wife will never know, and start to diagnose it
    Have you recently played with the programming? The ECM parameters get downloaded with the fuel map if using ECMDroid and that includes the fan settings. There are a LOT of programs with the fan settings backwards... Check that first.

Then go for a ride and check the actual bike temp with Live Data.

Then you'll know if theres even a problem.

Report back here and lets see what's up! If anything it's a great excuse to go for a ride
    Last edited by Cooter; 09-14-2019 at 05:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I guess I don't understand the problem. Are you concerned the fan does NOT come on when you turn the key off?

Does the fan work while riding?
    Is "speed based fan control" checked under ECM Parameters?

IMO, I'd the old sensor back in after I heat shrinked the insulator to repair the chaffing (no need for 'high temp'), return the new sensor, buy $80 worth of beer because the wife will never know, and start to diagnose it
    Have you recently played with the programming? The ECM parameters get downloaded with the fuel map if using ECMDroid and that includes the fan settings. There are a LOT of programs with the fan settings backwards... Check that first.

Then go for a ride and check the actual bike temp with Live Data.

Then you'll know if theres even a problem.

Report back here and lets see what's up! If anything it's a great excuse to go for a ride
    Yes, the problem is the fan has not been coming on after shutting the key off. I have 2 Buells and the 07 SS sings like Dolly Parton when I shut it off. I'm pretty sure it's been coming on while riding. Sorry for the vague answer on that, (I"ve been away from home for a while and have been meaning to get to this for a while). I reprogrammed the ECM for the Race Muffler that I installed with a Race Muffler program. It'll have to wait for Monday, but I'm gonna hook back up with Buelltooth and double check the temp parameters and the "speed based fan control" setting. I"m pretty sure I didn't check the box enabling "speed based". Backwards? Wow, haven't heard that one before. OK, and I'll check with Live Data as well.
    Thanks and I'll get back to ya Monday.

I don't like the "speed based" setting, the fan noise is annoying to me, but its an easy test to see the ECM activating the fan properly anytime above 20MPH (or so).

Ya they have the ON temp below the OFF temp. Lame, but check it. Good luck and report back

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I don't like the "speed based" setting, the fan noise is annoying to me, but its an easy test to see the ECM activating the fan properly anytime above 20MPH (or so).

Ya they have the ON temp below the OFF temp. Lame, but check it. Good luck and report back
    Will do, thanks.

It would be working fine if you were still on the, right coast !

Last edited by njloco; 09-15-2019 at 03:17 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast