Thread: I may be one of the last XB owners that hadn’t yet? :)

I may be one of the last XB owners that hadn’t yet? :)

Did the breather re-route today. Also, since it seemed it was the first time the lower airbox has been off this bike, I cleaned a few things up under there. Rear PCV was leaking at hose and all around grommet, cleaned that and reseated to grommet. Tightened hose to PCV as well.

Cleaned the TB as best I could while on the bike, it wasn’t bad, but definitely had build up of breather mess on it. While hunting around the TB, I did notice the vacuum service nipple had lost its rubber, if it ever had one? Seems like that’s a pretty good sized non-filtered air leak unsealed? Grabbed a vac cap while getting the breather mod goodies from Oreillys. What a bitch getting the velocity stack off! Good thing I didn’t have to resort to the Tbag or whoever’s crazy method of pulling it off with a breaker bar and strap, no need for those shenanigans. It was tight, though.

Didn’t reset TPS yet and took her out for a quick spin. Am I crazy to think it runs better?? Probably, but that’s what it felt like.

I know, I know.....to you guys that have had Buells forever, this is an old boring subject. I was surprised to find my Uly had never had the breather re-route.

Edit: Can’t seem to figure out the posting of images on this forum? Seems at least one pic is always sideways!

60A90A00-6F33-4DD0-937B-1B43C2CA8B77.jpg6905825E-0DCA-49BC-8222-11E64135F829.jpg

Logging chains!! I wish I’d have thought of that.

I was definitely huffing and puffing like BuellyBagger, my method mimics his to a tee! Lol.

I noticed many who did the breather mod added a catch can or some just a radiator drain cock on the “drip leg” beneath the breather filter. I just plugged the drip leg with a 3/8” bolt.

Probably a good 8” at least of line to hold the goo under the filter. Under normal circumstances, and on what seems to be a relatively healthy motor, how often should I take the bolt out and drain it?

I wouldn't plug it, it is a 'breather' ya know It needs to let crankcase fumes escape or possible BOOM situation could happen.
    Just put a curve or loop in the line to coalesce the fumes and let the end hang open, or put a small filter on it if it makes you sleep better. EZ PZ.

I haven't done the breather mod....

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I wouldn't plug it, it is a 'breather' ya know It needs to let crankcase fumes escape or possible BOOM situation could happen.
    Just put a curve or loop in the line to coalesce the fumes and let the end hang open, or put a small filter on it if it makes you sleep better. EZ PZ.
    Filter is tee’d into the line. Drip leg comes down off tee, the volume of the hose is my catch can. My setup is no different than one with a catch can, just a bolt to plug line. Maybe hard to see in pic, but hose continues below filter and terminated just into chin spoiler.

No “boom” here.

222E3062-C9D8-4747-8497-DA018E3BED36.jpg
    Last edited by Brando4905; 09-24-2019 at 09:58 AM.

Perfect. That's EXACTLY how I do mine. I pull the cap at every oil change to check, but haven't got a single drip yet.

It's a good, almost free mod. One of those things: 'might as well/couldn't hurt'

Can't be the last one, cause I just did mine Admittedly I just bought my first Buell last weekend though...

I simply routed the two breather hoses to a single T, and then routed the "exhaust" hose down to the same exit as the gas tank vent tube by the left foot peg. No filter, considering it's a one way circuit, didn't see the need. Can't say I noticed a huge improvement, but nice to know my engine is no longer breathing those fumes.

Did a tail tidy on either Buell !