Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Starts but clicks before doing so

Engine Starts but clicks before doing so

I always keep my bike on a tender, so it is fully charge, and I put a new battery with 200 CCAs in this spring. It has a problem where it sometimes (usually) clicks a few times as I turn it on -- often resetting the clock -- but turns over. Any idea what might be causing it? A loose connection? Starter going bad?

It is a 2005 XB9SX if it matters.

Fist off, you shouldn't keep it on a tender all the time. When I'm not using one of my bikes I will put it on a tender every two or three days, if I am using it then, when I get back from riding and it's going into the stable for the night, I'll put it on the tender.
    When you hear the clicking noise, can you tell where it is coming from, like is it under the seat or is it coming from the starter solenoid.

You might as well start by cleaning off the battery terminals and the various grounds on the bike. While I'm not sure about the XB9's, I do know that they recommend a 220 CCA battery for the 12's and, I believe most use the Big Crank batteries.
    Let us know how many volts DC your getting with the battery, then start the bike and see what your getting and then rev it up to about 2500-3000 rpm and see what your getting.

What he said ^^^

A cheap 200CCA battery is NOT ENOUGH to crank over a big heavy V-twin. The starter solonoid is telling you that by clicking in Morse Code. ...---...,...---... (buy me a good battery!)

Deka Big Crank Batteries are very good and realistically priced, stay away from Wal-mart.

Lunatic has a great solution for the 100% battery tender on = battery killer. He puts the tender on a lamp timer = genius!

My solution, is to ride my bikes as often as I can

I am using a 240 CCA I like the little more humping power. No tender here as Cooter says Ridem.

https://www.ebay.com/i/272519995823?...CABEgJJBPD_BwE
    Last edited by Silverrider; 09-25-2019 at 01:53 AM.

Riding more isn't going to happen. It is way too hot and humid over the summer here to get a lot of riding in.

What are you guys suggesting re tender? Leave the battery disconnected? I use a NOCO Genius that is supposed to manage that.
    Last edited by brokencycle; 10-01-2019 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    He puts the tender on a lamp timer

I just charged my Batt up , I mean I rode it and loved every mile.

IMG_0983.jpg
    Last edited by Silverrider; 10-01-2019 at 11:10 PM.

Damn Silver! Every time you post a pic of one of your bikes, it's like walking along a certain street in Copenhagen window shopping!

That XB has the perfect stance SR

Great pic!

That muffler looks so cool but I don't think I could stand having it up front, that just means I'm old.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast