Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2005 XB9 City-X Fuel Issues

2005 XB9 City-X Fuel Issues

I just purchased a 05 Buell XB9SX City X, changed all fluids - drained gas tank and cleaned - new battery - I cannot hear the fuel pump - so I checked the fuses - and relays - I think the fuel pump needs a rebuild, the bike has 516 miles & still has dealer tag, not wrecked just sitting inside a storage building with old gas and oil. I poured gas down by the air filter and the bike will run. Any other ideas or things I can try to troubleshoot?

Thanks
    Last edited by atank; 10-06-2019 at 02:18 AM.

If it sat with old gas I would rebuild the fuel pump. More than likely the pump is bad and gummed up. You can try and pull the relay and put it back in and see what happens. If nothing then replace the pump. You can try lunatic he has them in stock. He has complete kits. Make sure your switch is in the run position and key on to hear pump run. Sometimes people forget to put in run position.
    Last edited by rchuff; 10-05-2019 at 09:42 PM.

He's totally right ^^^

You can put a test light on the brown (IIRC?) wire at the pump to make sure its getting power before you order one, but Lunaticfringe does sell them at a good price to board members.

You can check my guess at the wire color from the wire diagram in the service manual. They are available for free at Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com

Post pics, that seems like like a fresh ride

Thanks Guys, I will check to make sure the FP is getting power.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    anthony: i responded to the email you sent me on this. your situation is as follows:
    1-the frame on your cityX doubles as the gas tank. the lowest part of the frame/tank is the left rear corner of the left side frame spar.
    2-stale moisture-laden fuel has been sitting there covering the pump assembly and its 2 filters for an extended period of time and caused problems. the problems are a frozen pump motor...rotted inlet strainer filter....clogged pressure-side filter. it will need to be removed and rebuilt or replaced...simple as that.
    3-you can try this to temporarily bring the pump to life but i would NOT run the motor with the pump and filters in this condition. as follows: put small block of wood under sidestand for slightly more vertical positioning. confirm that there is a bit of fuel in the tank...just a gallon or so will do. with key ON and kill switch to ON and battery CHARGED....kneel down to left side of bike where the pump is affixed to the frame rail. with rubber mallet or butt end of big screwdriver...wrap the head of the pump and/or the frame rail where the pump attaches. see if it comes to life. if it does you will hear it run and prime for a few seconds.
    this doesn't accomplish much other than to confirm that the motor is frozen fast and pump assembly needs rebuilt or replaced.
    Thank You - Yes I have replied to your email !!

Ordered a fuel pump rebuild kit today (thank you lunaticfringe), now to find a motorcycle lift mod so I can remove the fuel pump.

Inactive
    my pleasure anthony. click link from hugh...then click link showing dimensions. cost is virtually nothing....nice evening project...works like a champ....works nicely on both floor lift and floor stand. worth a look. been very happy with mine.

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...tml?1461522292
    Last edited by user_deleted; 10-08-2019 at 12:10 AM.

already started work on it

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    my pleasure anthony. click link from hugh...then click link showing dimensions. cost is virtually nothing....nice evening project...works like a champ....works nicely on both floor lift and floor stand. worth a look. been very happy with mine.

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...tml?1461522292

Thanks for the link. Never thought of the floor jack idea. Go fig.

So I got the old fuel pump out, and the fuel filter was mush, and inside of the tank looks like it was lined with something, I will have to scrape it off as far up inside the tank that I can reach.
    Has anyone ever come across this inside of your tank?

Last edited by atank; 10-25-2019 at 10:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast