Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 04 xb12 question

04 xb12 question

Hey all, new member here. Love my buell first off, have went through it and fixed every little issue it had from the PO. All in all very easy as I have 8 years mechanic experience. My question is simple.. should my bike idle up when cold? I read that 08 and up have IACs but is it normal for my bike to start up and just idle normal? I see the cold enrichment is on and it dumps fuel when cold but I would think it should hold a 2,000 rpm for a little bit to warm up. Thanks to anyone who responds.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by XB12Steve View Post
    Hey all, new member here. Love my buell first off, have went through it and fixed every little issue it had from the PO. All in all very easy as I have 8 years mechanic experience. My question is simple.. should my bike idle up when cold? I read that 08 and up have IACs but is it normal for my bike to start up and just idle normal? I see the cold enrichment is on and it dumps fuel when cold but I would think it should hold a 2,000 rpm for a little bit to warm up. Thanks to anyone who responds.

I read that 08 and up have IACs

they in fact do.

is it normal for my bike to start up and just idle normal?

yes

but I would think it should hold a 2,000 rpm for a little bit to warm up.

they do not

2003-2007 inclusive should have warm idle curb speed of approx. 950rpm
    those years actually tend to idle between 50-150rpm slower than warm idle curb speed during cold start-up. quite normal.

Ok cool, that's what I figured at this point. I usually slightly hold it to around 1500 for a few seconds and then let it chug for a minute or so

I have had experience with several DDFI-3 bikes and most of them (not all) have indeed idled up when cold, not even real cold, like 85 ambient or not even shut off for very long... and I hate it. Too high (2k), too long, and too hot before it idles down. Both of the FI Sportsters I have owned never did that, rock steady idle no matter what the temp was.

My current '08 STT does, but I haven't looked hard enough to change that setting.

IMO 15-20 seconds of 1500rpm will help oil pressure build faster on a cold engine, then anything with an IAC should idle down.

I hope someone pipes in with what's the setting to change

I can't touch the throttle on my X1 for at least 60 seconds or it will stall. I have noticed my X1 and XT don't idle up when cold. I let them chug away for a minute or two before pulling away. My experience with aircooled twins has always been unpleasant on cold mornings. My fuel injected air cooled ducati has a choke! The cold motor indicator has to go off before I even think about touching the choke.

Quote Originally Posted by pdksh View Post
    I can't touch the throttle on my X1 for at least 60 seconds or it will stall. I have noticed my X1 and XT don't idle up when cold. I let them chug away for a minute or two before pulling away. My experience with aircooled twins has always been unpleasant on cold mornings. My fuel injected air cooled ducati has a choke! The cold motor indicator has to go off before I even think about touching the choke.
    On the Ducati, is it an actual "choke"? Or is it a idle speed/fuel enrichment lever? What Ducati do you have?

Yeah I don't let it idle too long prob a minute then I just baby it for a bit til it's warm

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I have had experience with several DDFI-3 bikes and most of them (not all) have indeed idled up when cold, not even real cold, like 85 ambient or not even shut off for very long... and I hate it. Too high (2k), too long, and too hot before it idles down. Both of the FI Sportsters I have owned never did that, rock steady idle no matter what the temp was.

My current '08 STT does, but I haven't looked hard enough to change that setting.

IMO 15-20 seconds of 1500rpm will help oil pressure build faster on a cold engine, then anything with an IAC should idle down.

I hope someone pipes in with what's the setting to change
    My Sportster (2016) idles up when cold, then drops back to normal as it warms up. Usually takes about 30 seconds to a minute depending on the ambient temp. I think my XB's did it as well, but don't quote me on that.

When I say, "idle up", they only went up to maybe.... maybe 1700-1800 max.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    On the Ducati, is it an actual "choke"? Or is it a idle speed/fuel enrichment lever? What Ducati do you have?
    A 2005 800 super sport. It’s a 2 valve per cylinder, air/oil cooled motor. I think it’s referred to as S2R. It’s an Idle Up leaver. Oops my bad. Owned the bike since new and assumed it was a choke. I always thought it was weird an EFI motor with a choke. Either way, I can’t turn it off until the engine is at operating temperature.

Learn something every day

Isn’t a Supersport a Monster with fairing? I’m a Ducati novice.
    But the S2R Monster is a personal favorite.

Either way.... very cool. You have some very nice bikes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast