Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warped Front Brake Rotor

Warped Front Brake Rotor

My front brake rotor is slightly warped (2009 xb12ss). A mechanic confirmed it a while back during an evaluation. It's only noticeable when braking - of course. Finally decided it's time to get it done.

Is it even possible to repair a warped brake rotor?

Otherwise, I'm planning to find a used one in good condition, or go new. And replace the brake pads as well.

PS: Will a 2007 xb12s front brake rotor fit a 2009 xb12ss
    Last edited by 1776Brigade; 10-17-2019 at 10:15 PM.

Some people say they’ve had luck fixing the “warped” rotor with new rotor mounting hardware and fresh brake pads. I had the same problem with mine. I decided to just replace everything. Guaranteed problem solver. Diesel moto has the EBR 5mm front rotor for $249 and the upgraded hardware for $80. Add ebc HH pads And fresh fluid and your set.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by 1776Brigade View Post
    My front brake rotor is slightly warped (2009 xb12ss). A mechanic confirmed it a while back during an evaluation. It's only noticeable when braking - of course. Finally decided it's time to get it done.

Otherwise, I'm planning to find a used one in good condition, or go new. And replace the brake pads as well.

PS: Will a 2007 xb12s front brake rotor fit a 2009 xb12ss

no

Will a 2007 xb12s front brake rotor fit a 2009 xb12ss

yes

I'm planning to find a used one in good condition, or go new. And replace the brake pads as well.

go new. used are typically garbage. and check the rotor bushings....those oblong things....that attach and properly fit the rotor to the rim. i sell new EBC front rotors and matching pads to board members at dealer cost. if needed PM me.

I’ll take that challenge lunatic. Send me a “warped” rotor. I’ll get it flat

Wondering what you folks are doing to warp a rotor in the first place. Mines blue and still flat.
    Last edited by outthere; 10-18-2019 at 03:01 PM.

IMO 90% of the time it's missed diagnosis, even by 'mechanics'. If new pads fix it, it was un-even brake deposits. Proper pad bedding is crucial and I am a firm believer in the EBR race rotor mounting system that gets rid of the whole floating spring washer assembly. You can have your opinion about that, but all EBR bikes come with it stock.

Lunatics right, most used rotor for sale were taken off for a reason. Take advantage of his generous offer

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...l-instructions

I've fixed a "warped" rotor brake feel condition on two xb's now with thoroughly sanding the rotor, cleaning inspecting and greasing all the hardware, and then installing new pads (bedding them in properly). Now I am NOT saying i fixed a warped rotor, but did fix uneven brake feel caused by either improperly bedded pads or some other poor brake maintenance. This method might be worth a shot if you want to spend some time and elbow grease on sanding your rotor, but for the BEST and quickest fix PM Lunatic for some new parts.

I'm using that EBR mounting system with the Wave rotor. First use it grinds away metal that's in the way on the caliper. Thought about taking a dremel to the rotor but it finished after a few sessions. Using Ferodo pads with that set-up. Very good brake feel fron beginning to end different from Vesrah's where initial bike is very strong with good feel also. The Ferodos are more forgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I am a firm believer in the EBR race rotor mounting system that gets rid of the whole floating spring washer assembly. You can have your opinion about that, but all EBR bikes come with it stock.
    I disagree with this. I think the stock floating system works fine for street everyday usage. However, I will admit it is not without its own issues. If the springs/bushing assembly gets gummed up with crud and road contaminants, it can stick and cause problems. Especially with riders who don't know, don't understand it or just don't care. Every XB I've ever owned has had issues with sticking (front) brake components, whether its brake pistons, or rotor bushings/springs. Once they are maintained, it works great. Plus, I just like to disagree with Cooter.

I'm not saying the EBR setup is bad, no good, etc. And it does have the advantage of not needing the above maintenance, and better heat dissipation (from what I've heard). However, there are perks to having a big rotor like that be able to float on its mounting. But, if I bought a bike with the EBR system installed, I probably wouldn't take it back to the floating setup.

Then again, the hot rods around here like Cooter, njloco, WC, and SR probably benefit from the EBR mounting method. Guys like me who don't take their bike past 3419 RPM and complain because the loud muffler hurts my delicate little ears, probably not so much.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 10-18-2019 at 04:54 PM.

3419, just thinking out loud here. If there were perks of having a floating rotor, I wonder why Erik Buell didn’t just improve on that design instead of doing away with it all together on the ebr bikes. I agree the stock hardware kit does work well on the street when in proper form. However, there is still the issue of the dirt and grime getting in there. Maybe the issue with that outweighed the perks of the floating rotor. Who knows. If the op is getting a new rotor and hardware then I’d get the ebr hardware kit just so there won’t be a problem down the road. Just a thought

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast